[need help]How to Teach your Dog not to bite tires?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012.

1. inTHEsane

inTHEsane Active Member

Well I almost always have my dog on a leash or lead except when visiting parents with fenced in half of their 7 acres. Although even their when if anyone pulls in, he will instantly go for the tires, even if pulling my car out of my stepdad's shop after I do an oil change or repair, he will go right for the tires. This is a big part of why when we go hiking or other areas I don't let him off leash at all. I am not saying if I can teach him not to bite the tires I am gonna let him run wild, def. not.
    It's just I want to expand his lead in our backyard, but if someone pulls up he will be able to reach them. Also if he ever got loose or away from me{I rarely ever let anyone else walk him}, what scares me the most is if he finds a moving car before I find him.

I am not really sure how to go about training him with this. I mean its not like I can throw a car at him and if he doesn't "catch it" we can try again.

inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012
  2. inTHEsane

wils172 Active Member

LOL. I've never had a problem with dogs biting tires myself but my first thought was that you could spray them with something that they dislike the taste of until they no longer want to bite tires.

wils172, Mar 1, 2012
  3. inTHEsane

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

First time I have heard of a dog wanting to bite tires. Chasing cars, yes. Would he bite a tire that's not attached to a car? If he does, you can try giving him an old tire to work on. Maybe he will give up on biting tires after he finds out how bad they taste.

Victor Leigh, Mar 3, 2012
  4. inTHEsane

summerRain Well-Known Member

An old tire as a sort of a teether? I think that's a good plan. Your dog might get tired of biting the old tire as days goes by. Realizing that it is uncool to bite rubber.
    How about giving your dog some bones to bite with?

summerRain, Mar 6, 2012
  5. inTHEsane

Slightly off-topic.

I remember when my Bangkeaw was going through her chew-everything-in-sight phase. To try to reduce the damage, I gave my Bangkeaw a whole coconut complete with husk. She did chew on that. For a couple of days.

Victor Leigh, Mar 7, 2012
  6. inTHEsane

zararina Well-Known Member

I also think that giving him something else to chew like bones and keep him occupied or change his preference over tires.
    If that would not work, maybe a spare tire can do a trick. :p

zararina, Mar 11, 2012
  7. inTHEsane

I just thought of something. Could it be that the dog had a bad experience with some tires before? Maybe that's why it has some kind of grudge against tires.

Victor Leigh, Mar 11, 2012
  8. inTHEsane

wils172 Active Member

That's not that far fetched.. my dog is a real issue with cars and being on the road b/c of a traumatic event as a puppy

wils172, Mar 13, 2012
  9. inTHEsane

I see. So what really happened to your dog with a car? Did it have a near-accident? Or was it a near-fatal accident?

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
  10. inTHEsane

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I haven't had this issue, either. Is he biting it like its the "legs" of some kind of threat? Or is it like its a doggy toy?

LilAnn, May 28, 2015
  11. inTHEsane

superbobby Member

That is a brilliant idea! I will try this with our chair. Thank you for posting.

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  12. inTHEsane

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone is our first dog, and he doesn't go after tires, but when he does biting on something, like the legs of a table or chair, I put Spirach hot sauce on it, and he has stopped ever since.

IcyBC, Sep 27, 2015
Ask a Question