My Golden Doodle stinks!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Sep 26, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

In the summer we groom my dog and trim her and keep her hair pretty short.
    In the winter on the other hand, I like to keep her hair long because it is cold outside. If I don't brush her everyday, she just stinks. I think it is because of the mats that she gets when her hair gets long.
    Even when I bathe her, she still stinks afterwards, until I get her mats off...anything I can do besides brush her everyday and trim her mats?

dashboardc33, Sep 26, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

Well, perhaps it's time to change into a different shampoo. Some shampoos have deodorizers that can really help. Others help in lessening the oils in their hair.

You might also want to consider buying a shampoo that helps in detangling her hair as it seem that the reason why she mattes a lot and stinks from it.

haopee, Sep 26, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

Dogs have a specific smell and I'm afraid that there isn't much to do. My Homer stinks too, especially when it's warm or when he is wet.

claudine, Sep 26, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

One of two things I'd do:

Rub her down with some talc, to help absorb any odours. Alternatively, you can create this awesome, awesome brew, and believe me she'll smell so good afterwards. Get a handful of rosemary - the HERB, NOT oil. NEVER use rosemary oil on an animal, it's too concentrated and can harm the dog. Steep the rosemary in two cups of boiling water, and cover with a cloth - muslin is perfect. Allow the infusion to cool, and strain out the rosemary. Using a sponge, sponge down your beloved fuzzball with the infusion, and she will smell absolutely divine. Rosemary is really good for the dog's coat.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 26, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

pafjlh Well-Known Member

A dog can smell especially when they get wet. One of my brothers has such bad sinus issues that he can't be near Buddy and Oso if they smell like wet dog. You said that this happens in the winter and if you live in a climate where it snows and is wet a lot this could be causing the issue. Some of the suggestions you were given such as using another shampoo then drying them well, and using talc powder are good ones to try to combat the smell. Also, as you said keeping the mats trimmed and brushing them also helps.

pafjlh, Sep 26, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Here is a recipe to get skunk smell off your dog, perhaps it would work for any other odors too:

"Skunks:
    If your pet has a run-in with a skunk, wash the pet in a bath containing 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon liquid soap. Rinse your pet well, and then dry them. Discard the unused cleaner."

OhioTom76, Sep 27, 2012
Ask a Question