My dog no longer responds to 'Come'

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by joshc428, Aug 20, 2015.

1. joshc428

joshc428 New Member

I taught my dog this command when she was a puppy. However, recently she has stopped coming whenever I call her. I know she still understands the word, because I can see her ears perk up when she hears me call her. Instead of running over, she just continues lying down and refuses to move. I can only get her to move when I call her for food, and even then I have to coax her over about half the time. How can I encourage my dog to respond to my command?

joshc428, Aug 20, 2015
  2. joshc428

IcyBC Well-Known Member

She is testing you, and you will need to get back to the beginning of training her and treats and praise! I think over the time, they got used to us giving them command and just totally ignored us.

Just these past two days, my dog too did this with the Sit command! Whenever he heard the word Sit, he yawns, walks away, or lie down! I am telling you, it got old very fast with me! So this morning Capone was re-train with this command, and whenever he lies down, I came right next to him to force him to sit up! We just have to do this for the next few days or weeks. They need a refreshing course :)

IcyBC, Aug 20, 2015
  3. joshc428

Trellum Well-Known Member

I agree with IcyBC, it sounds she is testing you and not obeying you on purpose. My mom's dog does that often, most of the time he doesn't respond to ''come'', unless he knows food is waiting for him, and ever then you must call him out nicely or else he might think it twice and not show up. He is apparently very afraid to be scolded, lol. Dogs can detect in which tone you are calling, if they notice some anger or frustration they might not come.

Trellum, Aug 27, 2015
  4. joshc428

claudine Well-Known Member

Hello, Joshc428! My little Yorkshire Terrier ignores me too. Whenever he's tired or lazy, he always pretends he doesn't hear me, lol;)
    Try to reward your dog whenever he listens to you. I think it will help:)

claudine, Aug 28, 2015
  5. joshc428

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I don't even know what to tell you. For the most part mine come but there are times when they all ignore me. The only time they respond to come immediately is if some human food is in the air. Before the word is out they are at my feet. I am thinking of retraining mine.

Winterybella, Sep 7, 2015
  6. joshc428

Corzhens Well-Known Member

It is natural for dogs to come when summoned no matter what the command. Just the gesture of the hand would make them come to you. However, one of our 3 dogs is a spoiled brat. Barbie is my favorite so it is expected of her. When I call her, what she does is to look at me then look in the other direction as if to ignore me. She does that to everyone except to my husband. And why so? Maybe because my husband always gives her some treats.

Corzhens, Mar 5, 2016
  7. joshc428

I still have to deal with the on and off behaviour but almost always they will come when food or treats are involved. Hyperactive Ginger has been running down the street every time she gets a chance and usually after two or three calls she will literally sprint not to me but to the door to go back inside. These dogs of mine are all so different and still pretty much respond when they feel like it. I think the treats win most times.

Winterybella, Mar 6, 2016
  8. joshc428

remnant Well-Known Member

Is he old? As dogs age, they become less responsive to commands and generally feed less. Various diseases and physiological morbidities like worm infestations also make the canines lethargic. Sometimes we forget to give them dewormers and this takes a toll on their zing. The pet could also be undergoing a rough period emotionally just like we do.

remnant, Mar 13, 2016
  9. joshc428

Actually when I started to read this it was sounding so 'human' an in fact that's something I'm always in awe when I see the way my 'girls' behave.

Winterybella, Mar 13, 2016
Ask a Question