My Dog, My Hero

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, Dec 7, 2011.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

I’m sure there are incidences where your dog saves the day.
    My dog Browny and the rest of the teen pack had bitten and scared away trespassers before because there came a time where there was a serious case of chicken theft in the neighborhood. So what we do is we let our dog out at night in the yard to be on a look out. We would be awaken by their angry barks and we would find our gate open which means someone had tried to sneak in again on our chicken. Soon enough, the burglary stopped (in our home anyway). Why, burglars are not afraid of the dark and police forces but they sure fear the dog bites.

King Browny, Dec 7, 2011
  2. King Browny

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Well, I consider my dog to be my hero dog to. When I am sad, upset or having a really bad day... he is there to make me feel better, make me smile, and laugh. When my dad passed away, he was there to listen when I could not talk to no one else.

wahcashmom, Dec 9, 2011
  3. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs could really guard as well as it was their instinct to protect their owners and their territory. And dogs could really save our day by making us happy having them with us just like greeting us so lively when we come home. And also just by looking at those so cute creatures could really make us smile.

zararina, Dec 13, 2011
  4. King Browny

The one pupil allowed to sniff in class: How Shirley the labrador uses her nose to stop Rebecca, 7, falling into a coma

By Lorraine Fisher

She can’t read and her maths is pretty poor, but she is undoubtedly the star pupil in her class.
    Shirley the labrador spends the school day making sure seven-year-old Rebecca Farrar’s life is not in danger.

Rebecca has an aggressive form of type one diabetes which means she could have a hypoglycemic attack and slip into a coma at any time. She cannot tell when this is about to happen but Shirley’s extraordinary nose means that she can smell when the little girl’s blood sugar levels are becoming too high or too low.

King Browny, Jan 14, 2012
  5. King Browny

And here's another story that really touch my heart...

The blind dog who needs a new home... and he comes with his own guide dog

By Daily Mail Reporter

When ten-year-old Zac went blind his companion Lilli stepped in to prove that a dog’s best friend is ... another dog.

Now Zac, who had his eyes removed five years ago, relies on his fellow Jack Russell terrier to guide him everywhere.

He stays inches from her side on walks, and she lets him rest his head on her when he becomes tired or disorientated.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1375502/The-blind-dog-needs-new-home--comes-guide-dog.html#ixzz1jQPzk9te

King Browny, Jan 14, 2012
  6. King Browny

Nick87 Well-Known Member

That's really incredible. I had heard of dogs being used to detect seizures in epileptics as well.

Nick87, Jan 14, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  7. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh dear, those two stories have just played a full orchestra on my heart strings. The first one about the two dogs makes me wonder about how us human beings can be so mean to abandon our friends when they need us the most. The second one makes me want to start a campaign to pass a law making it a capital crime to put a dog to sleep.

Victor Leigh, Jan 14, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  8. King Browny

I just remember this story as I browse the Golden Retriever photos in another thread.

Subject: Fw: Story about a Golden Retriever named Daisy!

What a great story, especially if you are an animal lover. This is a true story which happened on 9-11-01........ James Crane worked on the 101st floor of Tower 1 of the World Trade Center. He is blind so he has a golden retriever named Daisy.

After the plane hit 20 stories below, James knew that he was doomed, so he let Daisy go out of an act of love. With tears in her eyes she darted away into the darkened hallway. Choking on the fumes of the jet fuel and the smoke he was just waiting to die...About 30 minutes later, Daisy comes back along with James' boss, who Daisy just happened to pick up on floor 112. On her first run of the building, she leads James, James' boss and about 300 more people out of the doomed building. But she wasn't through yet, she knew there were others who were trapped.

So, highly against James' wishes she ran back into the building. On her second run, she saved 392 lives. Again she went back in. During this run, the building collapses. James hears about this and falls on his knees into tears. Against all known odds, Daisy makes it out alive, but this time she is carried by a firefighter. "She lead us right to the people, before she got injured" the fireman explained. Her final run saved another 273 lives. She suffered acute smoke inhalation, severe burns on all four paws, and a broken leg, but she saved 967 lives.

The next week, Mayor Guilaini rewards Daisy with the Canine medal of Honor of New York. Daisy is the first civilian Canine to win such an honor. {copied from NEW YORK TIMES 9-19-01}

King Browny, Feb 28, 2012
  9. King Browny

Very inspiring story. Which totally strengthens my conviction that people who put dogs to sleep should themselves be put to sleep instead. And people who pass laws to outlaw dogs should themselves be outlawed instead.

Victor Leigh, Mar 2, 2012
  10. King Browny

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Awwww That tugged on my heart strings! I love that story! I'm going to show it to my husband when he gets home.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 2, 2012
  11. King Browny

summerRain Well-Known Member

Whoa! Those stories are incredibly touching. I love my dogs but after reading these stories, I think I love them even more. I am not expecting that they can save my life in danger but I know they will try their best to save me if there something bad happens to me.

summerRain, Mar 6, 2012
  12. King Browny

I think the best part of it is that the dog doesn't get big-headed about it. Nor does it go on to sign book rights about it's experience. It just did what was needed to be done. Then goes on with its life nonchalantly. How many human beings can do that?

Victor Leigh, Mar 7, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  13. King Browny

summerRain Well-Known Member

Maybe 1 out of 10 humans could do the same things that those heroic dogs do. I would admit that I myself would not risk my life to rescue someone who I don't know. But if it is a family member then that's a different story.

summerRain, Mar 7, 2012
  14. King Browny

That's another great lesson to be learned from dogs. Do good deeds in exchange of nothing.

King Browny, Mar 8, 2012
  15. King Browny

That's something to wish for. Except that the chances of a human being doing something for absolutely nothing is something like one in a gadzillion. Dogs are way more advanced than human beings in this sense. I mean it takes a very high level of spiritual development to be able to do a good deed with absolutely no expectation of any reward whatsoever.

Victor Leigh, Mar 10, 2012
  16. King Browny

King Browny, Mar 15, 2012
  17. King Browny

My goodness, I can't read that article to the end without feeling something like a big clot in my chest. I hope as she grows up, she would not have to depend on the oxygen tank anymore. Generally speaking, she would have a longer life than her dog. So if she has to live with an oxygen tank her whole life, she will end up with Mr. Gibbs II or even Mr Gibbs III. One thing I am sure of. Even when she no longer needs the oxygen tank, her dog will still be by her side.

Victor Leigh, Mar 15, 2012
  18. King Browny

Definitely, Victor. Mr. Gibbs being her best dog would also be like her best friend. As they are inseparable now and on more years to come, they would share many wonderful things together even if Alida has grown to be able to carry the tank herself. I think she will want him to be at her side as long as Mr. Gibbs could be there.

King Browny, Mar 17, 2012
Ask a Question