My dog eats my cats food

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by amy005, Dec 3, 2011.

1. amy005

jules21158 Member

My last dog prefered the cats food so we just feed them both on cat food, the dog last out the cat and lived 18 yrs, we even continued to feed the dog cat food after the cat had died as she wouldn't eat dog food.

jules21158, Jan 5, 2012
  2. amy005

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Maybe some dog food manufacturers would wise up to this niche market and produce dog food that tastes like cat food. Could be a profitable new line.

Victor Leigh, Jan 7, 2012
  3. amy005

King Browny Well-Known Member

Dog Food: Cat food flavor :D

King Browny, Jan 8, 2012
  4. amy005

Dog food with cat food flavor and dog food nutrition. That would be the best combo.

Victor Leigh, Jan 11, 2012
  5. amy005

charlie New Member

Both My cat and dog eat each other's food. Basically what I think it is, is that cat food has more fat and dogs like it. I don't know why cats would like dog food though lol.

charlie, Feb 22, 2012
  6. amy005

King Browny Well-Known Member

I guess they like it because the dog already ate their food thus they have nothing but dog food for their meal. Either they settle for that or go hungry. :p

King Browny, Feb 22, 2012
  7. amy005

I think it's just a simple matter of "the grass always looks greener in the other meadow". Or as the old Chinese put it "The neighbor's rice taste better".

Victor Leigh, Feb 22, 2012
  8. amy005

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Dogs like cat food because it has a richer taste to it. Some cats will eat dog food but they should not be encouraged too often. You can put the food in a dog crate or area where the dog can't get it. I had a a pup that loved cat food and I knew that he had to be broken of the habit. I filled a spray bottle with half water and half mint flavored mouthwash. I would warn him twice whenever he went near the catfood and then fire away. It only took a few days but he got it to the point that if he saw that sprayer in my hand he would stop. He never liked mint after that but its not a big deal to the dog!

firelily99, Apr 16, 2014
  9. amy005

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, that's so funny!:D I'm sure my Homer would love cat food too, even though he hates cats:p As far as I know, cat food comes in many different flavors, so it definitely could make a nice and unique dog treat.

claudine, Mar 6, 2015
  10. amy005

Winterybella Well-Known Member

That was standard when my cat was alive. Sometimes I would have to stand guard while she ate. The dogs loved, loved, loved the cat food much more than their own. I could not understand it but I read it was not uncommon. I have some cat food remaining since Twinke passed and I am sure if my dogs get a hold of it they would be happy.

Winterybella, Mar 9, 2015
  11. amy005

Trellum Well-Known Member

If I were you I'd just put it on the counter, cats are more than capable to get on a counter and eat. So why don't you just do that? Leave it all day long there if you want, your dog will never be able to get there.

Trellum, Mar 24, 2015
  12. amy005

Apparently cat food is higher in protein and fat and that's why the dogs find it so delicious. The problem I am told is if you continue to feed them cat food overtime nutritional imbalances develop in the dog. On the odd occasion I have allowed my dogs just a little bit.

Recently I ran short on dog chow and was thinking to give the smaller dogs some of what my cat left behind, but instead I prepared them some treats until the chow came later in the night.

Winterybella, Mar 24, 2015
  13. amy005

claudine Well-Known Member

I didn't know that cat food is high in protein and fat. Now, I understand why dogs like it so much. My Homer seems to love high-fat foods. He always begs for meat, fish, eggs and cheese.

claudine, Apr 13, 2015
  14. amy005

Yes, it is. I've read it several times on various sites. I did a quick search and came up with this most recent finding in connection with the protein being a big attraction. Have a read.

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/why-does-my-dog-make-a-beeline-for-cat-food

Winterybella, Apr 13, 2015
  15. amy005

Grimp Member

haha, my dog loves the cat food, its like a game for her to see if she can catch the door open so she can run in and wolf it down before anyone can notice. No idea how to stop the dog from doing this because its a really exciting hobby for her xD

Grimp, May 14, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  16. amy005

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I had to put the cat food in the bathroom with a baby gate blocking the entrance. Kittie kiss can get in there with no problem and the dogs could if they tried, but they assume they can't. I keep the litter box in there too. I don't know about other dogs, but mine consider cat poop a delicacy.

LilAnn, May 25, 2015
  17. amy005

Pshaw Bradley Member

In a perfect world, this may be....

But in reality, you are only guaranteed that you know what your pet is eating is if you prepare it yourself

I sometimes contemplate where certain brands of pet food come from.

After I name a possible source, I will give my opinion on how probable I think it is that this is where the 'average' bag of 'store brand' pet food comes from:

---------
    Those Highway Department contractors and Department of Natural Resource workers who shovel up roadkill...do they incinerate the carcasses, or do they sell them to 'renderers'?

I think that the latter is possible, but not probable.

----------
    Waste from industrial fisheries and slaughterhouses, offal, and utilizing any bits of meat that are not considered fit to be 'pink slime'?

Sure, I think this is very likely.

----------
    Cuts of beef, pork, tuna, and some vegetables, selected by gourmets in chef's hats, and served on a carving board presented directly in the pet's field of vision?

Heh.

---------
    Solid biomedical or industrial waste that could remotely be considered 'digestible'?

My god, I should hope not. I don't think so.

---------
    Some various kinds lower grade cuts of non-offal meat and some vegetable peelings and corings?

Yes.
    ----------------
    Look, I am not some wild-eyed leftist here ranting and raving about corporate profits and the need for further industry regulations, but you gotta consider that these pet food companies don't care what your pet eats, and I doubt very many, if any brands 'formulate' their products and add extra nutrients and all that stuff. They just buy the cat food from some factory that makes cat food for a dozen different other brands, package it with their own logo, and ship it off to the stores without a second thought.

I, personally, think that the main difference between cat and dog food is that one is fishy smelling and one is beefy smelling.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Pshaw Bradley, May 26, 2015
  18. amy005

superbobby Member

Is it healthy if a dog eats cat food? Does it cause any harm or complications to the dog?

superbobby, May 31, 2015
Ask a Question