My daughter is scared of the dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ilovedog, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Ilovedog

Ilovedog New Member

Everyone in my family love dogs. But when we go over to my brothers house, my four year old little girl gets scared out of her mind. My brother has a 260 pound English mastiff, the dog is really sweet. But for some reason my little girl doesn’t want to be anywhere near the dog. From day one, she has just been terrified of the dog, she was really hesitant to meet the dog the first time, she did it. But then I noticed that she was afraid.

why is this? We have a border collie at home and they get along and play together just fine. When my brothers dog starts barking or stands up, or just walks near her, my daughter will run to me wanting to be picked up. She doesn’t even want to be in the same room as the dog, even when I’m holding her In my arms, she doesn’t want me to go anywhere near him.

of course I respect my daughter and I make sure she feels safe. But why is she like this?

My brothers dog has done nothing wrong. Why is she acting so scared of him? Like I said we have a border collie at home and they play together.

Ilovedog, Jun 19, 2022
  2. Ilovedog

Robert clarke New Member

Its natural I used to scare of dogs in my childhood its not in her control, Large dogs can sometimes create sensory overload for young children due to their size, loud barking, or energetic movements. This can be overwhelming and frightening for a child.

Robert clarke, Sep 24, 2023
  3. Ilovedog

Jahnfrederick New Member

To help your daughter overcome her fear of the dog, consider gradual exposure, positive reinforcement, and supervised interactions with the dog. It's essential to prioritize her safety and comfort while building trust and reducing her fear over time. Consulting with a professional dog trainer or behaviorist may also be beneficial in addressing this issue.

Jahnfrederick, Oct 10, 2023
  4. Ilovedog

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

To help your daughter overcome her fear of the dog, consider gradual exposure, positive reinforcement, and supervised interactions with the dog. It's essential to prioritize her safety and comfort while building trust and reducing her fear over time. Consulting with a professional dog trainer or behaviorist may also be beneficial in addressing this issue.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Nov 7, 2023
  5. Ilovedog

Salena-Roy New Member

Each dog's different, and maybe something about the big dog feels different to her. It's okay, everyone has things they're nervous about.

Salena-Roy, Jan 3, 2024
Ask a Question