My 7.5 year old Golden retriever passed away suddenly...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Diana Smith, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Diana Smith

Diana Smith Member

My sweet girl Amber Cinnamon the 3rd was very quiet and didn't jump up like she normally did when I walked into the house. I could not get her to stand up and so with all my strength (she was 80 lbs) I lifted her into my van and drove her to the animal emergency. Her spleen had ruptured and she had a very aggressive cancer. She passed away a few days later. My heart is broken! She was a member of my family and I don't know how I will go on without her!

Is cancer very prevalent in Golden Retrievers?? Anyone?

Diana Smith, Jun 21, 2015
  2. Diana Smith

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry! My dog just passed away last night. i know how heartbreaking it can be. I buried a member of my family last night. It's hard not to love them like they tell you to. I love them as much as I love anyone.

LilAnn, Jun 21, 2015
  3. Diana Smith

Diana Smith Member

I am sorry for your loss as well. Losing a beloved dog is the same thing as losing a child. I tend to grieve for my dogs when they pass in a very intense sort of way. I lost my Great Dane to bloat a couple years earlier and I still feel sad from missing her big paws and huge gentle head plopping down on my lap every evening on the sofa.

Diana Smith, Jun 21, 2015
  4. Diana Smith

Trellum Well-Known Member

So sorry for your loss! Poor girl, I hope she didn't have to suffer for so long. I hope you find solace in the thouht she is now pain-free. I have experienced the pain of losing a beloved dog before, so I understand how you are feeling. And yes, something strange is going on, according to an article I read some days ago, retrivers are living much less than some decades ago.

A lot cases of cancer! It is so scary! They say back in the 70's retrivers could live up to 17 years, now barely 9-10 years.

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
  5. Diana Smith

claudine Well-Known Member

This is terrible, I feel very sorry for your loss, Diana Smith! You did everything you could, but there was no way to save Amber Cinnamon. Things like this shouldn't happen. I'm heartbroken whenever I hear about owners who lost their dogs. It must be so painful!

claudine, Jun 21, 2015
  6. Diana Smith

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am so sorry for your loss and I know it has been a while but surely the memory of your girl is still lingering in your heart and mind. It is terrible that dogs do get many of human diseases!

IcyBC, Feb 16, 2016
  7. Diana Smith

Corzhens Well-Known Member

What a sad thread. And so young at that age to be destroyed by cancer. This reminds me of our first dog who suffered from kidney problems. We just noticed that her tummy was growing. And at 10 years of age, the vet said surgery is not an option. We knew that she was dying for a week before we surrendered her to lethal injection because we could not bear to see her suffering - she was gasping for breath and pain was eviden in her eyes.

Be consoled that your dog is now in heaven for as they say... all dogs go to heaven.

Corzhens, Feb 22, 2016
  8. Diana Smith

claudine Well-Known Member

Corzhens, this must have been really heartbreaking. Losing a dog is unimaginably painful, because dogs are our friends and family members:(
    I remember when my aunt's dog died. She was so unhappy, nothing could cheer her up.

claudine, Feb 22, 2016
  9. Diana Smith

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I just stumbled on this story and I have to confess I was trying to only look at positive things today. This is quite sad and I hope Diane is doing better now. I know about loss and more than probably a year down the road, my heart still breaks for my cat I lost. My sympathy to all who might have suffered the loss of family because that is what they are- family.

Winterybella, Feb 22, 2016
Ask a Question