Meet Ralf! The giant schnauzer that comforts little children in hospital

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I just saw your post about your bad experience with a pit. That's horrible! If people are going to raise a dog like that, they have GOT to be more careful
    When raised to be mean or protective they can really hurt someone!
    It only has to bite one person before the dog gets put down for a dirt nap.
    There isn't a "win" at all in this situation

LilAnn, Jun 14, 2015
  2. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was lucky that dog didn't bite a chunk of me off that day, for reals! It helped I wasn't really scared (crazy I know, but i was still young and not thinking so much about consequences, lol). When I think about it now I can only thing...damn, my face oculd look totally different now! I have heard people who have been disfigured by dogs... I was so lucky. I am so glad i watched all those tv shows about dog psychology... they do work. The dog was hesitating a lot, then gave up when the dog saw i wasn't afraid and used a loud voice. Man was I lucky... counting my blessings!

Trellum, Jul 2, 2015
  3. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

When any dog, (that can reach above my ankle), starts acting aggressive it makes me pretty nervous. I would have never thought about making him back down like that. another great example of, "cooler heads prevail!"

LilAnn, Jul 2, 2015
  4. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm just the opposite, I'm used to aggressive behavior, it doesn't make me nervous at all. It makes me laugh. My Homer growls at me whenever I go to his room or touch his toys, lol;) He's very cute when he's angry;)
    But I'm sure I wouldn't feel this way if he was a big dog.

claudine, Jul 3, 2015
  5. Trellum

I think I was so damn lucky, lol. Seriously, you might think this will sound crazy, but it was like something was guiding me to do the right thing, because I was doing all that automatically, I wasn't thinking much. That dog killed a little chihuahua later that day :(

Trellum, Jul 3, 2015
  6. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Luck would have been a sudden case of narcolepsy hitting the pooch. It was skill that you had! I'm serious, too. I wish I could be that clear headed when I was in a sticky situation.

LilAnn, Jul 3, 2015
  7. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I know that getting nervous makes them nervous. And I'll act like I'm cool. Wait, let me rephrase that. I'll TRY to act like I'm cool. But, regardless of whether they can or not, I feel like they sense my nervousness. Which makes me more nervous. I guess I'm my own worst enemy.

LilAnn, Jul 3, 2015
  8. Trellum

Lol, you are funny! It could also been a thunder, lol. I guess I am :) I stayed cool and managed not to get my face or leg eaten by a very very very mean dog! Phew! That was so close! I heard dogs can sense your energy in most situations, specially this kind and this is why some dogs hesitate before attacking a person! They can feel your fear, now I know it is damn true! Until now I thought it wasn't true, but now I know for sure.

Trellum, Jul 4, 2015
  9. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I've had moments where a mean dog and a very nervous me make eye contact, and stare at each other for a moment. You can see the dog pick up on the fear. You can see it in his eyes, and he smiles. I avoid those situations as much as possible.

LilAnn, Jul 4, 2015
  10. Trellum

Yeah, I can understand! Do a lot dogs run wild in your neighborhood? In my old neighborhood they did, it was crazy! Well, nothing like the pitt bull incident, that was something different, but those other dogs were a bit bothersome to the people who dare to bike past them. There was this tiny dog I completely ignored, he felt like a big bad dog (I bet, lol) and I was just not even looking at him. He barked a lot... waking up every one every time I date to pass by that street, after a bit he stopped.

Trellum, Jul 5, 2015
  11. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I've seen dogs around here that would run, and prepare to attack if you set one foot on their grass. As soon as you moved over, it as like an invisible wall went up in front of them. My dogs will attack cats, snakes, or any other wild animal that they don't think belongs in their yard. But they never really go nuts over foxes, or coyotes. And the more I think about I don't remember EVER seeing a stray dog. Thank god for that!

LilAnn, Jul 5, 2015
  12. Trellum

Here you can see a lot strays! But those I am talking about actually have homes, but I have no idea why the so called owners think it is a good idea to let them on the loose. People over here seem so carefree in that sense, you know? I don't get them, some of those people could get in a big trouble if their dog bites someone. Those dogs normally don't, but if they see someone riding a bike they just can't help to follow the person.

Trellum, Jul 6, 2015
  13. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I've lived in neighborhoods where that would be a terrible idea. But then I've lived in neighborhoods, that was partly closed off, where everybody lets their dogs hang out and run around together. I remember when my roommates dog came into heat, we had, literally, 5 dogs at a time sitting at our door, wanting to either get in, or for her to come out.

LilAnn, Jul 6, 2015
  14. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Dogs always know when people are nervous or scared of them. They're such intelligent animals! I noticed that my Homer seems to be especially aggressive towards those who fear him;)

claudine, Jul 7, 2015
  15. Trellum

Yikes!! Did they manage to get what they wanted or not? If they did I can imagine you guys had to deal with a lot puppies. I can't get that kind of communities, specially if not all those females dogs are fixed. Sounds like big trouble to me if you ask me.

Trellum, Jul 7, 2015
  16. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

he was one of those responsible dog owners who laid puppy pads down and never bothered ith housebreaking. Keep in mind this was a big dog. She was a pit, and a puppy pad doesn't go very far for them. Anyway, she never got to go outside so we had the door between them at all times.

LilAnn, Jul 14, 2015
  17. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

one of the advantages to being out here, in the middle of nowhere, with no stray, is I don't get late night knocks on the door when one of girls comes into heat.

LilAnn, Jul 15, 2015
Ask a Question