Meet Ralf! The giant schnauzer that comforts little children in hospital

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Another amazing story involving a dog :) Meet Ralf, he is a black giant schnauzer with an equally big heart ;)

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jun 4, 2015
    IcyBC and claudine like this.
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Ralf sounds like the sweetest dog in the whole world! He does such a great job:) I believe those sick children really need him. Playing with dogs and spending time with them works better than taking antidepressants:)

claudine, Jun 5, 2015
  3. Trellum

Yes, I think having that fury companion right next to them during those stressful times really helps a lot :) I have heard they also use dogs in other hospitals, they let the adults pet them if they want. I'd personally like something like that if I was at the hospital :)

Trellum, Jun 5, 2015
  4. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Same here. Being around dogs always calms me down. They all are so sweet and loving! Not to mention that observing them can be very entertaining. I'll never get bored with watching Homer. He does so many funny things!:D

claudine, Jun 8, 2015
  5. Trellum

My frida sometimes does some really odd and funny things, like that thing I told you she did with the carpet. Dogs are so funny and geniune, you are so right about that. I find them so relaxing most of the time, just like I find aquariums :)

Trellum, Jun 8, 2015
  6. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

This is such a sweet story. I love to see children being so free and relaxed with such big animals. After my childhood bad experience I stayed away from big dogs or had an underlying fear of bigger dogs. Sometimes I wonder if there is still that tinge of fear still remaining. The photo ID is so cool. With those four I have all would probably disappear with the rough play. Reba the big dog is the only one whose collar is still around his neck.

Reba won't do well with those kids. His licks alone would throw them to the ground. He is too strong even with his love...

Winterybella, Jun 8, 2015
  7. Trellum

Thanks, Anne :) I was also a bit afraid of big animals as a kid, but now I am better. Schnauzers are a very gentle breed and perfect for this kind of job :) Reba is a male? The rottie? Yes, I can imagine a rottie being a little too rough with small children, hehe, they are very strong and muscular dogs with lots of stamina...

Trellum, Jun 8, 2015
  8. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

That's such a wonderful thing they're doing for those kids. Dogs can work miracles sometimes.

LilAnn, Jun 8, 2015
  9. Trellum

Yes, I actually wish more and more hospitals did something like this! I think dogs have great therapeutical capabilities to calm both children and adults. So they should be seen more and more in this kind of settings.

Trellum, Jun 9, 2015
  10. Trellum

Reba is a bitch. I am surrounded by bitches. The only 'stud' I have had around me was the one who appeared out of nowhere and was coming back every night up until about a week ago. Reba the Rottie is so loving but way too strong. Every kid who has come by has been terrified for Reba. She just loves to lick and lick and play but I really can't keep up. My son is very good with that and he's also good with the licks. The only problem is that is not consistent.

Winterybella, Jun 9, 2015
  11. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My ex got in to some trouble when he was a kid and had to do community service. He went with a group that would give each kid an animal to take to the nursing homes.

LilAnn, Jun 9, 2015
  12. Trellum

Oh that sounds like a really interesting project :) Taking a pet to visit different nursing homes, I think that is a lovely way to make someone feel better, specially old people in nursing homes... because sadly those people are often neglected by their own families (not visiting enough).

Trellum, Jun 10, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  13. Trellum

Oh ok, I had heard she was a female, but I say you were refering to her with a ''he''. That is why I got so confused, hehe. What happened to your stud? Did he just vanish without a notice? I hope he is fine, so manty dangers out there in the streets. But maybe he found a new home :) Yes, I can imagine! Rotties are so strong and muscular, when I think of them I imagine one of those big metalic balls they used to demolish buildings, hehehe! Because if they jump on you they cna certainly demolish you :eek: I had that experience with a friend's rottie years ago. I'm a bit a afraid of rotties since then.

Trellum, Jun 10, 2015
  14. Trellum

:):):):):):):D Reba is like that. She is that demolition ball, but so loving. The rough love works well for my son but this 'young girl' finds it a little scary at times. She'll knock me over and probably lather me with kisses or licks. She definitely won't do well with the kids. They would have to watch her from a distance, or stumble on her when she is relaxing on my bedroom floor. Whenever she comes in the house, she heads straight upstairs and relaxes on that floor until she sometimes falls asleep. It's when she starts to walk around and lick that I 'run' for cover. She is sweet but too strong. I saw two beautiful ones being walked the other day. They drove Reba wild and they look twice her size. They were beautiful to watch.....from a distance.

Winterybella, Jun 10, 2015
  15. Trellum

Wow!!!! Twice her size????? Really??? Gosh, lol, I'm glad I am at such a good distance. My worse nightmare is to be walking down the street all alone and suddenly I see a not so friendly dobbie or rottie or a pit bull! I love pit bulls, but I had a very bad exeperience with one back in 2012. I used to go for walks every morning, I passed by a house with a locked pit that was also tied up... well, dunno what happened, but one morning that dog was outside!!!!

It wanted to bit me!!!!!! It followed me, growling, like it was tihkning of vbitting me from behind... but I shouted at it with a firm ''NO'', she kept growling and following me for a bit. If I had run she'd have bitten me so bad... if I had hesitated when I said ''No'' many times... I don't know where I'd be now. That nasty dog killed a little puppy later that day :( Some dog owners are jerks!

Trellum, Jun 11, 2015
  16. Trellum

Actually, I looked at Reba last night and I thought to myself, "Girl, you look really small compared to those giants". They were massive and they did not look overweight. Just thick and hefty. They really looked good. I have heard people say Reba looks good but they left me speechless.

I was going to say the dogs would not have done you anything but I did not realise you had to work yourself out of the situation. I am glad you are here to tell the story. We need some more Ralfs in the world.

Winterybella, Jun 11, 2015
  17. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

It was great for everyone involved, I think. The dogs got to go out and be around people once in a while, the nursing home residents got visits and the chance to see a beautiful face, and the kids having to take care of them and cleaning up after them taught them a little bit of responsibility.

LilAnn, Jun 11, 2015
    Trellum likes this.
  18. Trellum

Yes, a win-win situation if you ask me! I hope they are still keeping this kind of activities up, those people really need to see more new faces more often, something to look forward to, you know? I have seen what the life in a nursery home is like and i must say it's quite sad.

Trellum, Jun 12, 2015
  19. Trellum

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Jane Ann Turner was responsible for juvenile offenders in the county. She's the one that set that up. I think we she left they threw her program away, too

LilAnn, Jun 12, 2015
  20. Trellum

Oh no!!!! That is terrible! We need more programs like that, I think they cater to the needs of many :( What a pity! I hope someone comes up with the idea of reviving that program.

Trellum, Jun 13, 2015
Ask a Question