Medical equipment of fire engines for dogs and cats

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've been seeing stories about this on the news and I wondered if it's getting popular in other areas as well. Some fire engines in California are equipment with special equipment including oxygen masks for dogs and cats. They have been running into situations where they rescue an animal, then need to provide some sort of veterinary aid on the scene. So, they have added some small equipment to have on hand specifically made for dogs and cats

Also, some rescue workers are being trained in animal CPR. I guess this also comes in handy when they use service dogs on the job that may need aid.

Has anyone else seen this in their area?

Melody, Mar 6, 2013
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

No I haven't. Nice one though. I guess it's important to include pets in emergencies as the owners could risk their lives for their pets.
    Who would not do something if their dog was still inside a burning building.

argon_0, Mar 6, 2013
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I think it's a wonderful idea, it should be like this everywhere because sometimes dogs need help too. Unfortunately I've never seen anything like this in my country, I haven't even heard of it before.

claudine, Mar 7, 2013
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Well I guess some countries have dog insurance.
    Maybe it will be similar to us. Saved by the fireman and ambulanced to a vet hospital and asked have you got insurance.:)

argon_0, Mar 8, 2013
  5. Melody

rdahl125 Member

This is an amazing idea, I think it should be regulated by law. So many poor animals are caught helpless in house fires just like people can be, and you often see stories of a firefighter who's applauded for going in and saving a pet. It would be even better if fire engines were automatically equipped to save pets as well as people. Losing a pet because of a fire would be just as devastating to most families as losing a human family member; it would be great to see people realize this!

rdahl125, Mar 9, 2013
  6. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

The worst thing is that animals completely panic when they see fire. Humans have better chances to rescue themselves than dogs who will just run randomly in terror. We really should do everything we can to keep them safe. Special equipment to save pets should be a norm in every country.

claudine, Mar 11, 2013
Ask a Question