Making Your Visit to the Veterinarian Easier

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, May 7, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

My previous dog loved going to the veterinarian. She thought everyone who worked there was waiting for her to show up. She got so excited each time we visited.

Misha is not like that. Well, at first she was. The first year she did really great at the veterinarian. Then, she had a bad experience at the emergency veterinary clinic. She was bitten by a spider and swelled from head to toe. They had trouble giving her a shot and she ended up very scared. Also, there was another animal crying and barking from fear which upset my dog.

From that point on, she seemed to have difficulty at the Vets. Once we had to go to a different veterinarian and Misha refused to come out of her crate. The veterinarian was a bit rough and shook her out of the crate, dropping her to the ground. I was quite flustered by this since we thought she might have injured her leg. I never went back to her!

I've warned everyone at our regular vet clinic so that they know that she can be a problem. They seem to be able to work with her with only mild upset. They are understanding and take their time. I hope eventually she will trust them so that it isn't always a horrible experience.

Does any one else have a dog who is terrified of vet visits? Do you have any tips for making it easier on your dog?

I have learned a couple of things along the way. At the veterinarian's advice, I no longer bring her in her crate. She travels in the car in her crate, so I used to carry her in that way. I was told that the crate becomes their safe zone and it can be impossible to remove them if they are afraid. It makes sense.

The other thing I do is I bring a bag of her favorite treats. I give her treats throughout the process in hopes that she'll see it as a positive experience instead of a scary one.

Any other ideas for dealing with a scared dog at the Vets?

Melody, May 7, 2012
  2. Melody

kinser Well-Known Member

One of my dogs is afraid of the vet's office, so much so that he gets to wear a muzzle (which the office staff has humously dubbed "the party hat") when being examined. I don't know any way to really soothe him other than remaining calm myself and speaking softly to him. There are some medications that vets can prescribe for anxiety, so you might consider asking about whether this would interfere with a routine exam.

kinser, May 7, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I do have some sedatives for her. I got them at her last visit. I've never used them for a Vet visit, but I will suggest it next time I make an appointment. I've heard that sedatives can sometimes make a dog overreact. I'll do whatever is necessary to make it as easy as possible for everyone involved. I'm sure it's no picnic for the staff when a dog refuses to be touched.

Melody, May 9, 2012
  4. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I find that the easiest way to get over vet fright is just to take the dog to the vet even if the dog doesn't have any business at the vet's. It's easier for me because my vet is just down the road and I just take my dog for a walk that way. Of course, when we get there, buying some treats helps.

Victor Leigh, May 10, 2012
  5. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I guess I am a lucky one since I have the best veterinarian in the world. He is a charming young man who's 3 years fresh from graduating. He answers all our questions and can expertly maneuver the syringe or the pills that are needed to be given to them.

But this wasn't our first vet, we had to experience a couple of bad ones before finally ending up with someone who we were comfortable with. These couple of bad ones were the most highly recommended clinics in our city and we were disappointed with their services. The last check-up we had with them was regarding our dog who they claimed was sick of poisoning. We had mentioned to them that some of our pups have died of Parvo which they disregarded. They even assured us a positive prognosis with Shark. The next day, they called saying that he had a seizure and died after an hour. And that they were asking us if we were to take him home or they were to take charge of burying him (this and the fact that they had placed him in a carton box already!).

I guess for me, it's a matter of finding a veterinarian you and your dog are comfortable with- coupled with some treats, of course. If you have an energetic dog, it is always best to walk him or exercise him first, prior to the visit. And it's also important that you show your pet that you're "top dog" in the place. Uncertainty is not an option- and a simple hunch of the back or fidgeting can give way to a dog feeling he needs to take control of the situation.

haopee, May 10, 2012
Ask a Question