Love your dogs like your children?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by jowjo5, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jowjo5

brooklyn218 Member

My friends and family make fun of me all of the time for how many photos I have/post/send of my dogs. We do not have any children yet so I cannot compare the love but I certainly love my dogs as much as I can imagine is possible! They're my fur babies!

brooklyn218, May 2, 2016
  2. jowjo5

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I am not sure where I fall on this equation, but I know for sure that we love our dog very much. He spends the day with me, and at night sleeps with my sons. I took care of him, fed him healthy food, bought him toys, bought him treats, take him to the doctor, brushed him, and gave him bath. So yes, in a big way, he is a member of the family! We just love him and treat him as kind as we treat people.

IcyBC, May 9, 2016
  3. jowjo5

remnant Well-Known Member

On the face of it, one should love their children more than their dog. But then, the human heart is conditioned to be affectionate where the same is returned in an unqualified manner. The loyalty and faithfulness of dogs leaves owners confused as to why their children don't elicit the same feelings in their hearts. Part of the reason is that dogs aren't capable of sinning and don't have the conniving potential of humans.

remnant, Jun 23, 2016
  4. jowjo5

cluckeyo Active Member

We do love our little Valentine. She is 15 now and we shudder to think of the day she will no longer be with us. She loves to give comfort, seems to be her purpose. She is a precious, precious little dog and she is our baby!

cluckeyo, Jun 24, 2016
  5. jowjo5

nytegeek Active Member

We love our dog and consider him a member of the family. That said, I still put my children first. It would be different if I only had a dog and no children I suppose.

nytegeek, Jun 30, 2016
  6. jowjo5

Winterybella Well-Known Member

My girls are my kids and I mean that in the nicest way to my actual son and the countless others that call me mom. Some people don't understand it. They see it as a disease but sometimes I think you have to experience the love to know the connection and affection we feel our pets.

Winterybella, Jun 30, 2016
  7. jowjo5

cecejailer Member

I think if someone has a dog that they don't consider a family member, they're doing pet owning wrong! Not only is my dog part of the family, but she also feels like she is, I know it. Even though she knows we look nothing alike and could never be related, I think she considers me her substitute mother (as she probably doesn't remember her biological mom). It always pains me when I have to leave her behind, it feels like a part of me is missing.

cecejailer, Jun 30, 2016
  8. jowjo5

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We have no children either and my children are my dogs. I give them everything that I can. We have 2 housemaids to take care of our 3 dogs especially when my husband and I are at work or on vacation (last weekend we were in Hongkong). But we are confident that our dogs are well taken care of because of our housemaids who are fully oriented with the feeding, vitamins and medications not to mention the toilet needs. But they are not authorized to give our dogs a bath for I am the only 1 who could do that.

Corzhens, Jul 1, 2016
  9. jowjo5

amelia88 Well-Known Member

Both of my pets, my dog and my cat, are part of the family - but I don't think in the same way as my own child. I love them to bits, though, but it's definitely not the same kind of love.

When we head out of town though, my in laws watch our pets because I'm too worried about boarding them...I like knowing that they're cared for by family! So I guess you could say they're a bit spoiled :)

amelia88, Jul 8, 2016
  10. jowjo5

nytegeek Active Member

Pets should be loved and treated as part of the family, but that doesn't mean they are better than or even the same as children, because they aren't.

nytegeek, Jul 8, 2016
Ask a Question