Let dogs lick the dishes?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Okay, so letting a dog get in the dishwasher is a little extreme.

Have you ever let your dog lick a plate after you're done eating, though? What if it's just a bit of gravy or something?

Jessi, Jan 28, 2013
  2. Jessi

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We have let our dog lick off our plates before. We have a policy at our house, if he leaves us alone during dinner he gets a bite. If he begs, he gets nothing.

MakingCents, Jan 28, 2013
  3. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

No way would I let my dog lick a plate that I use to eat lol. I'm just not comfortable with it. Not that I disagree with letting them do it, just not something I would personally let my dog do.

shdws, Jan 28, 2013
  4. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I know it's kind of disgusting but Homer always licks the dishes in my home. When he hears somebody is loading the dishwasher, he runs there immediately to check it:eek:

claudine, Jan 28, 2013
  5. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not let our dogs lick our plates. Although there are times before that we used to have a dog that will try doing that when no one is looking or aware. Lol

zararina, Jan 29, 2013
  6. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

It's quite tempting but I wouldn't allow it especially since the dog might perceive it as a go signal to be able to eat whatever is on the plate.

Just like feeding them leftovers, plate licking can teach them to beg or even steal the food that's on top of the table- no matter how hard you reinforce the rule on tables being off limits.

The picture looks awesome, but I think it's expertly Photoshopped because the reflection on the side where the pup is shows the plate on the right corner.

haopee, Jan 30, 2013
  7. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Had a chuckle of Dishwasher dog.
    No way also will I let Mishka lick our dishes. We do let her lick emptied sardine cans and sandwich tuna cans though. I leave some in because I love her and like to spoil her.

argon_0, Jan 31, 2013
  8. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

No dish licking for Misha. She begs enough as it is. I don't want her to think she gets what is on the plates, too. Plus, it's gross. My sister-in-law feeds her dog with her fork. I love my dogs, but...no. Certain boundaries need to be adhered to.

I have seen this photo on the internet before. I've wondered if it was photoshopped. It seems like a narrow space for a dog to get into. And, how long have those dishes been sitting in the dishwasher? Days?

Melody, Jan 31, 2013
Ask a Question