Jumping on people

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by kinser, May 2, 2012.

1. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

My 2 year old German shepherd is still having problems with this - usually when he excitedly welcoming someone who just got home. I've often heard and read that the best way to train dogs to stay down is to ignore them until they are calm and behaving. However, this does not seem to work with my dog - if you turn your back to 'ignore" him, he just jumps up on your back. What are some other options? He seems so excited that he doesn't even realize we are trying to ignore him. He has no idea how big and heavy he is - he will tackle my 7 year old daughter with the same fervor as when he jumps on my husband and me.

kinser, May 2, 2012
  2. kinser

Jalisa7 Member

Hmm I tend to get a little "rough" with the dog in these situations. If he is jumping on (pushing) me, I will usually push him back, tell him "No" firmly, and then ignore him until he sits or just relaxes. If he jumps again then I push him down again and repeat. It seems to work after a few tries.

Also make sure that when someone comes home they aren't making a big deal out of it either. Have them come in calm and quiet. I like Cesar Millan's method: "No touch, No talk, No eye contact."

My uncle has an ultra-excited pit that will literally knock you over if you aren't careful. He refuses to train his dog --- so if this technique works on an untrained dog, I think it could work for dogs that are still learning.. It's worth a shot! :)

Jalisa7, May 2, 2012
  3. kinser

zararina Well-Known Member

I actually enjoy being greeted with jumping stunts from my dog. Lol
    Our dogs are usually just medium size or not that big and heavy so we can manage their "jumping thing"on us. And usually after they had jumped once or twice, they just waggling their tails and looks happy while coming with me inside my room.

zararina, May 2, 2012
  4. kinser

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My Poodle, Benjamas, has this neat trick whenever I come home. She would take a flying leap into my arms. Then she would scramble up to my shoulders. If I let her, she would have sat on top of my head.

Victor Leigh, May 3, 2012
  5. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog has the same problem. When he jumps we simply say 'off' and push him off. That is the only attention he gets for us until he sits calmly. He's gotten MUCH much better at this so keep at it. My biggest piece of advice is to be consistent.

MakingCents, May 4, 2012
  6. kinser

Right. The way to train a dog is to be consistent. Wishy-washy people will end up with wishy-washy dogs. Well, either a wishy-washy dog or one with a permanent tilt like this:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 5, 2012
  7. kinser

MakingCents Well-Known Member

aww I love when dogs tilt there head and look at you like that. It's one of the most innocent looks in the world :)

MakingCents, May 6, 2012
  8. kinser

The part that puzzles is why dogs do that. Did they learn it from humans? I mean, we also tilt our heads like that when we are perplexed by something.

Victor Leigh, May 6, 2012
  9. kinser

kinser Well-Known Member

My shepherd does this head-tilt thing all the time. He looks like he would give anything to be able to ask a question when he's doing it, LOL. My other dog never does it, but I think he believes he already knows it all anyway.

kinser, May 6, 2012
  10. kinser

He actually already asking a question. All you have to do is take Telepathy 101 and you will know what he's talking about. Or maybe you don't want to know what he's been telling all the other dogs about you.

Victor Leigh, May 7, 2012
Ask a Question