Jobs for Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, Jun 14, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

Dogs can perform different jobs. Know some work that a dog can do? Here’s one:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-tail-Hunting-dog-gets-buzz-saving-bees.html

King Browny, Jun 14, 2012
  2. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes dogs can perform lots of jobs.
    Just like as a performer, guard or guardian and helper. And of course a very good companion. ;)

zararina, Jun 14, 2012
  3. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's fantastic. It's actually quite surprising that the dog would agree to look for the bumble bees because I am very sure it must have been stung at least once.

This reminds me of dogs which are used to sniff out drugs. I was told by a reliable source that they are trained by being given the drugs. So the dogs become drug addicts and sniff out the drugs which they are addicted to. The downside is that after just a couple of years' of drug-sniffing duty, the dogs become too addicted to be of any use anymore. And, this is the tragic part, their reward for faithful service is death. Yes, they are put down.

Now, I think I will just crawl back under my rock and try not to think too much.

Victor Leigh, Jun 14, 2012
  4. King Browny

Melody Well-Known Member

This is fascinating. You would think a dog's instincts would tell it not to look for bee hives because of the danger of being stung.

I think we are only beginning to understand the power of a dog's ability to sniff things out. They are used in police work. There are dogs that detect seizures and other medical problems in people. Now we have bee sniffing dogs.

Victor, is that the common way that they train dogs to sniff drugs? I've never heard of that before. That is very tragic.

Melody, Jun 14, 2012
  5. King Browny

argon_0 Well-Known Member

argon_0, Jun 15, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  6. King Browny

Well, to tell the truth, I have not verified that story. All I have is what someone in the medical services told me. Someone who has kept a lot of dogs in his time.

It's very possible. Like the dog that could sniff out the bee hives. Although the article only mentioned that the dog was given a reward for its work without saying what the reward was, I suspect the dog was rewarded with some honey from the hives.

Just like those dogs that can sniff out trufles. I have read about them and they are definitely rewarded with truffles.

Victor Leigh, Jun 15, 2012
  7. King Browny

Wonderful! I haven't tried the truffle but I read that it's an edible fungi and there are some delicious recipes for it online. How nice to know that dogs could save us the time and life for distinguishing edible mushrooms from poisonous ones. It sounds like an odd job but dogs do whatever is handed to them at their best.

King Browny, Jun 24, 2012
  8. King Browny

And Victor, I never thought that a dog can be addicted in the process of sniffing drugs. I thought they would simply sniff these certain drugs, identify each and then be able to remember the smell and distinguish it from where it could be hidden. Only now that it occurs to me that yes, they could be greatly affected in the process of training. I imagine they’re being presented with certain amount of drugs, of different kind, from time to time to familiarize them. I wonder what happens to dog when they got high or why can’t they simply be rehabilitated after they completed their duty. Anyway, dogs aren’t like humans who would go out their way to find supplies, right?

King Browny, Jun 24, 2012
  9. King Browny

The sad part about the drug sniffer dogs, from what I was told, was that the dogs became addicted to the drugs and after a few years of service, their reward was termination. Termination as in killed.

Victor Leigh, Jun 24, 2012
  10. King Browny

^Maybe, since the dog become addicted to the drugs, it already affects it’s well-being thus resulted to termination. But then, they should be rehabilitated instead. It’s really inhuman that after they served the public, the reward is demise, unless their drug sniffing job really causes their mind and body to degenerate. I guess like soldiers going into war, being a dog drug sniffer requires great sacrifice if it means saving many people’s lives.

King Browny, Jul 24, 2012
  11. King Browny

I, too, would like to believe that the authorities would spend money to rehabilitate the sniffer dogs. However, I don't see that happening any time soon. It's as tragic as shooting war veterans because they cannot adapt to civilian life.

Victor Leigh, Jul 24, 2012
Ask a Question