It's not the dog, it's the owner

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Winterybella, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I've spoken before about these dogs that have created some problems for me. In the past they would poop on my property and in more recent times they escape ( guessing so) and disturb my dogs and the neighborhood sometimes in the early hours of the morning.

Once it got so bad my son who never gets up came out with a rod like Moses and tried to chase them to their home. Only today I was shouting to tell them go home. I don't know what to do, but I just know the dogs are not the real problem. It has to be the irresponsible owner. Am I wrong?

Winterybella, Oct 9, 2015
  2. Winterybella

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't think you are wrong! It always is the owner's responsibility to keep their dogs contained in a protected yard. It is very disturbing when people just let their pets out to roam the neighborhood and to drop their waste wherever.

Can you report them to the authority? Or can you call animal service agencies?

IcyBC, Oct 15, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Of course it's all on them, I've seen dogs with horrible dependence issues who bark all day long when left alone at home or even when the owner goes to the loo. Sadly it does happen. Some people are so irresponsible and inconsiderate, your neighbors shouldn't have dogs if they are not ready to educate them well and be responsible and considerate people. Not cool at all.

Trellum, Oct 15, 2015
  4. Winterybella

I'm really very disgusted by it all. I honestly don't know if I would be taken seriously if I had to call the police and I must confess I might be a little reluctant to call them anyway. I honestly like my dogs can have a lot of bark than bite mostly because I like peace.

Besides what I really need to do is call around and see what rights we have as owners. This is a real reminder to get out some more and know what's happening with those of us who take our dogs seriously.

Winterybella, Oct 15, 2015
  5. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

Are you sure those dogs have an owner? Maybe they're strays. It's hard to believe someone is so irresponsible to let them run everywhere and disturb everyone. I can imagine how annoying this must be:(

claudine, Oct 16, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

I agree, Winterybella. Actually calling the police on them might backfire really badly. I have seen that happen actually, when you do that you become the neighborhood's enemy, so don't ever go there :s It might make things get much worse D: I know because in my mother country things are like that as well.

Trellum, Oct 16, 2015
  7. Winterybella

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I think a dogs personality is both genetic and how they were raised. Bad and good behavior is taught. My friends dog is very spoiled. It jumps all over people and sits on the couch even when she tells it not to. It's behavior is a direct result of how she brought up the dog as a puppy. She would think its behavior was cute and let it get away with stuff. Now that it is an adult it is so used to not following orders and doesn't listen at all.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
  8. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

KimmyMarkks, I couldn't agree more. If a dog is spoiled, it's the owner's fault. For example, my Homer bites everyone in our family, because we thought it's cute when he was a puppy and we allowed him to do it:confused: So now he thinks it's okay.

claudine, Dec 10, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  9. Winterybella

Djordje87 Active Member

Of course it is the owner. There is a saying that the pet's behaviour is mirrored in owner's character. I have seen too many pit bulls being judged because are aggressive but the truth is their owners are making them to be like that. My friend has a pit who is playing with my golden retriever, who, by the way is not capable of any aggression whatsoever. The dog is benign and he is a darling :). On the other hand my neighbour has several of pit bulls and he trains them for fighting. You can imagine how they act and yet, they come outside and play with me but not with other dogs. So, the owner is to blame. It is like parenting.

Djordje87, Dec 18, 2015
  10. Winterybella

Corzhens Well-Known Member

The thread's title reminds me of a chihuahua who bit my husband's leg. We were in a dog festival and before it started there were already people in the venue. My husband followed us and on the way to our seat, he was bitten by the vicious chihuahua which was handled by the woman owner. She hastily apologized and admitted that her dog indeed bites. It's really sad to encounter such irresponsible dog owners. In that case, it's not the dog's fault but more of the owner's.

Corzhens, Feb 10, 2016
    Winterybella likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Sometimes I hear people being very hard on dogs and I honestly think it's so much to do with the training the dog gets. Even with my four. I find I am getting back into the habit of giving them every thing I put to my mouth because they are there looking all pitiful. Then when they do it when people come I can't exactly get mad at them or the people, because it's a habit I am 'encouraging' for want of a better word.
    Don't talk about the Pits and Rotties. I completely agree with what @Djordje87 said.

Winterybella, Feb 10, 2016
Ask a Question