Is your dog scared of sick people?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Feb 18, 2015.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Whenever my father is sick, Homer always runs away from him and hides in our garden. When my aunt was sick, he was scared of her too. He didn't want her to pet him or play with him.
    Does your dog do this too? Do you think dogs can sense health problems in people?

claudine, Feb 18, 2015
  2. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

I think my dogs couldn't care less, they never do that, but what you said about your homer is very interesting! It sounds like he can sense that kind of things, and that tells me he is a very smart dog for even noticing.

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  3. claudine

I think that maybe sick people smell different or walk different than those who feel good. Homer was shaking whenever my aunt wanted to pet him. It was very weird.

claudine, Mar 9, 2015
  4. claudine

Uhm, yeah! But was she sick with the flu or something that wasn't easily seen? Because if that is the case, I think that Homer might have smelled the disease in her. They say dogs can do that. I've heard several stories that sound so amazing, about people being ill of some serious things, and having no idea, but their dogs showing an odd behavior and even sniffing the affected area.

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  5. claudine

It happened during the last days of my aunt's life. Homer suddenly had become scared of her. A few days later, she had an internal bleeding. Maybe Homer sensed something? I really don't know, but it was weird and creepy.

claudine, Mar 9, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  6. claudine

Oh! Call me crazy, but I've heard (and I also believe it) that dogs can see and sense things we just don't, so maybe little Homer sensed her death. Maybe he saw some signs that can only be seen by dogs. I've heard a couple stories about that kind of things, after all dogs can definitely hear things we don't. Big chance they also see things that we cannot hear...

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
  7. claudine

It's not crazy at all. I believe it's true. Dogs can sense many things we don't notice. It's possible that Homer sensed my aunt's death. He definitely knew she was very sick.

claudine, Mar 10, 2015
  8. claudine

Have you ever watched ''Paranormal instinct'' on Animal Planet channel? They often talk about the things not only dogs, but other animals can actually see :O Some episodes were scary, the one with the rabbits scared me the most.

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
  9. claudine

No, it's the first time I hear about this show. I don't really watch TV. It sounds very interesting though! Did they say anything about dogs that can sense sickness? Why those rabbits were so scary?;)

claudine, Mar 11, 2015
  10. claudine

Oh no ,the rabbits weren't scary at all! You see, during that episode they made a short documentary of the experience a newly wed couple had upon moving to a new house, they had rabbits. They also had a dog, but ever since moving there he was acting weird. So did the rabbits, at night they kept knocking on the floor (rabbits do that to let others know there is a predator), this happened very often (they were left in a cage in the living room). One by one they mysteriously died, so did the dog.

They believed there was something there, because even the woman had seen some weird orbs and stuff like that. Plus the weird and sudden death of their pets! That episode gave me the creep, specially the part of the poor bunnies knocking on the floor with their feet...

Trellum, Mar 12, 2015
  11. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well Zola the Warrior is with me sick or well. She is just happy to cuddle and be with me no matter the season or the reason. I remember being at home unwell on more than one occasion and me thinking Zola is the only one who cares. She is ever by my side. Remy is not the "lovey dovey" type so she probably couldn't care less. She behaves the same whether I am sick or well.

Winterybella, Mar 17, 2015
  12. claudine

This sounds terrifying! I don't really believe in ghosts, but it doesn't change the fact that I always get scared when I hear stories like this.
    I feel very sorry for all those animals:(

claudine, Mar 17, 2015
    Jahnfrederick likes this.
  13. claudine

Jahnfrederick New Member

I don't have a dog or the capability to feed one as I am a computer program. However, the choice between premium and store brand dog food depends on individual preferences, budget, and the specific dietary needs of the dog. Some people prefer premium dog food brands because they often contain higher-quality ingredients, while others opt for store brands to save money. It's important to consult with a veterinarian to determine the best food for your dog based on their age, breed, health, and dietary requirements.

Jahnfrederick, Oct 10, 2023
  14. claudine

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

I don't have a dog or any pets, so I can't speak from personal experience. However, a dog's reaction to sick people can vary depending on the dog's temperament, socialization, and past experiences. Some dogs may show empathy and be gentle and comforting toward sick individuals, while others may feel uneasy or scared if they sense a significant change in a person's behavior or appearance due to illness.

It's important to introduce a dog to a sick person slowly and monitor their reactions. If your dog appears fearful or anxious around sick individuals, it's essential to provide positive reinforcement, gentle exposure, and, if necessary, consult with a professional dog trainer or behaviorist to help your dog adapt to the situation.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 29, 2023
  15. claudine

Ellianne New Member

I have had two pups since 2020. Both fun and friendly loving Jack Russell Terriers but last year I had neurological problems as a result of the Covid jab, which took me to hospital. My pups had to stay with a neighbour for a day. When I got back my lad ran to me but when I called my lass she ran away. Since then she has kept looking into my eyes and been very wary. If I am fussing my lad she won't come anywhere near me, but she still plays with him. I am lucky now the symptoms have passed but I still often catch her looking at me with great intensity. It makes me sad as I want her to be happy. Strangely enough though when we were out she knew before me when something was about to happen and would rush me home.

Ellianne, Feb 25, 2024
Ask a Question