Is your dog inside or outside at night?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Mar 4, 2012.

1. argon_0

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

That movie definitely got to me. It actually scared me when the leopard seal popped out of the beached whale. I was too distracted by the poor whale to think anything bad was going to happen. I ended up screaming scared. But yes, that movie really is heart-wrenching. But that's why they made it.

dkramarczyk, Apr 8, 2012
  2. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

After I watched the movie, one question keeps running around in my head. I can understand that there wasn't enough space to take the dogs along on the first flight. I can understand that the storm stopped them from making the second flight to get the dogs. What I cannot understand is why didn't they unchain the dogs before they left on the first flight?

Victor Leigh, Apr 9, 2012
  3. argon_0

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Maybe they didn't want to unchain the dogs so that they could come back to them? I am unsure. Or perhaps they didn't unchain them because they didn't believe that the dogs would stand a chance. But if they were originally planning on sending out a second flight for the dogs, then that is probably why they didn't unchain them. They maybe thought they would be able to come back for them so they didn't want to lose them to nature.

dkramarczyk, Apr 9, 2012
  4. argon_0

wils172 Active Member

My dogs are all outside except for the oldest who usually gets special treatment

wils172, Apr 9, 2012
  5. argon_0

kinser Well-Known Member

Both of my dogs are in at night. I'd be worried about them barking and bothering my neighbors, and I also want them in the house for protection reasons.

kinser, Apr 16, 2012
  6. argon_0

kinser Well-Known Member

I remember reading Jack London's Call of the Wild and learning that sled dogs sleep under the snow at night. Dogs with such thick undercoats really only need protection from the wind and an enclosed space so that their coats can keep them warm. Nature is an amazing thing.

kinser, Apr 16, 2012
  7. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer has never slept outdoors in his entire life. I think that he might like it, but I would never let him try. I know that I wouldn't be able to fall asleep if I knew that he doesn't lie on his favorite couch. I just don't think that it would be safe. I would worry that somebody will kidnap him. Or that it will start raining. He hates getting wet.

claudine, Sep 3, 2013
  8. argon_0

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow stays inside the house at night. I also don't feel like getting up from my warm bed if it starts to rain really hard. Early in the morning I walk her for 30 minutes. By mid morning she gets to play in the garden. In the afternoon she gets walked for another half hour and more play time in the garden. Aside from these supervised outdoor times she's usually indoors. If its raining you'll never be able to drag her outside :)

trishgl, Sep 3, 2013
  9. argon_0

Homer also spends a lot of time outside the house during daytime. He likes lying on grass in our garden and digging holes:p . It's a quiet area, so I don't have to watch him, he runs there whenever he wants to. It's different after sunset though. I don't know, I'm calmer when I know that he sleeps at home:)

claudine, Sep 9, 2013
  10. argon_0

Trellum Well-Known Member

My frida is indoors with me all the time, unless it's time for her to go potty, in that case she can be outside for a while. I once almost forget she was outsie, lol, but she started to bark as if telling me: ''hey, i am here!''.

Trellum, Jun 17, 2015
  11. argon_0

Winterybella Well-Known Member

The big dog spends most of her time outdoors which is sad sometimes and the three small dogs are inside day and night. I actually think on of the smaller dogs things she is human. That's Zola. I think if she could speak she would ask for her own bed.

Winterybella, Jun 17, 2015
  12. argon_0

Diana Smith Member

It is weird because my Papillon will go outside just long enough to do his business and then races for the door. My Golden Retriever will be inside at first during the night and then she will jump on on my bed, put her paws on me and whimper in what sounds like the word "out" repeatedly until she gets me out of bed. I will let her outside and she will proceed to lie down on our front porch and go to sleep.

I feel guilty about her being outside all night, however when I open the door and try to get her to come inside she just stares at me and makes no move towards the door.

This is in the summer and spring. In the colder weather she doesn't usually do this. I think it is because the we have no air conditioning in our home and it gets pretty warm in the house at night whereas outdoors there is a nice cool breeze.

Diana Smith, Jun 17, 2015
  13. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My dogs are full time, indoor dogs. I have to put stuff on the furniture at night to keep them off of it, though. As soon as I go to bed they race for my chair. Other than that I have no issues with them misbehaving at all.

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  14. argon_0

mkCampbell Active Member

It depended on the dog with us. Most are house dogs now. Had a few that were outside farm type dogs. They had it made as well. Bad weather, cold, extreme heat etc - they also became house dogs. Always had access to garage shade, water. As they became older they all seemed to become house dogs.

mkCampbell, Jun 29, 2015
  15. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I have never been able to have an outside dog. I can barely have outside chickens. I want them all to be able to come inside and relax, maybe watch a movie. I was 15 and got my dog, Cash. He was an outside dog, but he was terrified of thunderstorms. Mom and Dad's insistence on him being an outside dog didn't last long. Within 2 months he was inside sleeping with me at night.

LilAnn, Jun 30, 2015
  16. argon_0

Haha, same here, LilAnn, I wouldn't be able to have an outside dog either. My Homer always sleeps at home. I know he's safe there:) I'd never leave him in the garden at night. He's like a child to me:)

claudine, Jun 30, 2015
  17. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I couldn't imagine not treating them like children. They wouldn't dream of treating you like anything less.

LilAnn, Jul 2, 2015
  18. argon_0

Exactly. Dogs are sweet creatures, aren't they?:) All they want is to be loved. And I love my Homer with all my heart. I'd never let him spend the night outside. I know he wouldn't like it.

claudine, Jul 7, 2015
  19. argon_0

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog lives inside the house with us since day one, and he has his own kennel. I don't feel right leaving him outside with all that mosquitoes and bugs. He also has shorthair and Michigan can be brutal even in the summer.

My son allows the dog to sleep with him sometimes, but normally, he would be in his kennel for the night.

IcyBC, Jul 13, 2015
  20. argon_0

LilAnn Well-Known Member

When Little Ann was born, her and her mom stayed in the kennel. After she was getting out and about she still always came back to the kennel for naps or for the night. She would even choose the kennel over my lap sometimes.

LilAnn, Jul 15, 2015
Ask a Question