Is your dog afraid of anything?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Oscar is afraid of cats! So what does he do when there are cats around? Does he run or hide from the broom and the vacuum? I remember my dog would bite on the sweeper.

King Browny, Mar 26, 2012
  2. zararina

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Beau is afraid of small children, ever since he was swarmed by a group of them at a show. He also hates it when people sneeze! He used to run away when people sneezed, but now he just hunches down and waits till its over.

LoupGarouTFTs, Mar 26, 2012
  3. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My dog trainer friend did say that dogs instinctively have a fear of loud noises. He said that it takes a lot of training to get dogs to be unperturbed by gunfire, for instance. And he said not all dogs can be trained for that.

Victor Leigh, Mar 27, 2012
  4. zararina

albim New Member

My Schnauzer is afraid of the traditional fireworks and vacuum cleaners, but he's also afraid of several odd things. For example, if I point the TV remote at him, I can expect a growl in return. It makes it interesting every time I change the channel.

My dog also seems to (somewhat awkwardly) be afraid of people of different races than my family. Usually if I have a non-white friend over, I have to let my dog warm up to him. It seems this is pretty common (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/high_concept/2003/02/can_a_dog_be_racist.html), however.

albim, Mar 27, 2012
  5. zararina

Mimij Member

My youngest dog is only afraid of a bath. :) The oldest is so tough and makes lots of noise, but when the weather is bad she turns into a big baby. She is afraid of gun shots and fire works too.

Mimij, Mar 28, 2012
  6. zararina

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't think he's really scared of much. I've had dogs in the past that were terrified of everything, but I think our current dog just doesn't care. He does bark at trains a lot because they're nearby, but he's not scared of them...if anything, he's excited by them, because he's wagging his tail and jumping around while howling at them, lol.

Jessi, Apr 1, 2012
  7. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I suspect he's trying to figure out how to chase a car with so many wheels. btw any idea why dogs chase cars? It seems to be the hobby of quite a number of dogs.

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  8. zararina

Luz Adolfo Member

My dog is a very brave one, he bites, barks, fight almost every dog he can find and the only thing he is scared of is me. When he is annoying (Barking every second), I will just say one letter in a husky voice and that letter is "B"................... He will then shut-up and sleep. ;)

Luz Adolfo, Apr 2, 2012
  9. zararina

wils172 Active Member

Most of my dogs dislike fireworks and some don't like storms. My one dog is afraid of trucks as well.

wils172, Apr 9, 2012
  10. zararina

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

The dog I used to have, Harry (RIP), used to be afraid of fireworks as well. But he might've been afraid of taking a bath. Every time he was in the bath he would whine a lot and try to jump out of the tub. I thought dogs were supposed to like being in water.

dkramarczyk, Apr 11, 2012
  11. zararina

kinser Well-Known Member

My German shepherd is terribly afraid of our fire detector when it goes off - he gets extremely anxious. My Lab/Rott mix is a nervous dog by nature, and is fearful of many things (he can't be touched while sleeping unless the toucher want to lose an arm). Neither dog gets upset with typical things that dogs are afraid of, like storms or fireworks though.

kinser, Apr 15, 2012
  12. zararina

kristyleann Member

My dog is afraid of the water hose. I don't know why because no one has ever sprayed her with one or anything, but if you so much as walk toward it she takes off and hides somewhere until you're done with it.

She HATES getting a bath. She isn't really afraid of it, she just hates it and somehow she always KNOWS we're about to give her one. I don't understand how she knows but she is perfectly fine until we go to pick her up (but she lets us pick her up any other time) and then we have to chase her around the house.

I guess she just REALLY doesn't like water.

kristyleann, May 2, 2012
Ask a Question