Is your dog afraid of anything?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs are usually afraid of fireworks and I think most of dogs are afraid of it. I could observe that during new year when there are some fireworks outside, they just stay inside the house hiding under a table or under the bed. And sometimes, there are some stray dogs that are entering our place because of being too scared of fireworks outside.
    They also get scared of thunderstorms if its seems to be too loud.

zararina, Nov 29, 2011
  2. zararina

Shawn Active Member

Haha, my dog loves severe weather. I chase tornadoes and bad weather and travel all over to do it. I often take my pooch with me and he just looks confused when he sees tornadoes, licks the hail LOL and barks at the thunder LOL.

However, he is terrified of BOXES!!! I don't know why either, I have never put him in one or anything, lol. A cigarette pack scares him, his tail goes under his legs, head goes down and he runs off while peeing all over the place, lol, I just don't get it...

Shawn, Nov 30, 2011
  3. zararina

Your dog was genius! He knows that smoking kills! LOL

zararina, Nov 30, 2011
  4. zararina

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Yes, my dog acts just like a baby. He is really scared of things that are to loud, like my daughters drums, storms, screaming, kids running and things like that. I treat him just like a baby, and he is really spoiled rotten.

wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
    PuppyChow likes this.
  5. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Why, same here, Zara. My dogs are afraid of loud noises, too, like that of firecrackers. Every new year, you won’t find them anywhere outside our house. They’ll be hiding under the couch or inside the cabinets. They are hard to find actually. They won’t even show up during meal time when you call them that I have to bring their food in their hiding place. Even if I would hug them, they would prepare to keep themselves as far from the blaring sounds as possible. I guess it’s also because it hurts their ear. They have superhuman hearing anyways.

King Browny, Dec 1, 2011
  6. zararina

BeachHut Active Member

I have three dogs and yes they are afraid of certain things. :)

Our oldest dog "Bulinggetirs" is afraid or the dark. She normally just stays in one place when the lights are off. :) Her puppy "Bentot" is afraid of thunder, he freaks out when he hears thunder and hides under the sofa. Her other puppy "Lassie" is afraid of anything unfamiliar to her. It could be a hanger, a piece of cloth, fruit,etc. which is very funny. She runs away when she sees me holding anything she hasn't seen or smelled before. :D

BeachHut, Dec 1, 2011
  7. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy, my Bangkeaw, belongs to a breed that will fight to the death, irregardless of the size of the opponent.

Yet Candy, strangely, is afraid of heights. When I need to sweep the floor, I just put her on the table and she will just stay up there until I am finished. If I don't do that, I will have a tug-of-war with her over the broom.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
  8. zararina

That reminds me of my dog when he first saw a mirror. He was scared of himself. :p
    That was really funny since he thinks another dog is threatening him and later on he could come close to the mirror and would wonder how the dog get in there and where it will come out. LOL

zararina, Dec 1, 2011
  9. zararina

That hadn't happened to any of my dogs yet. Mainly because they hadn't any chance to get near any mirrors. However I have had a cat that liked to parade past the mirror and admired itself in the reflection. Really, it would walk slowly across the front of the mirror, pause to have a look, sometimes even groom itself while looking at the mirror.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  10. zararina

I had read somewhere before that cats are one of those animals that could recognize themselves in front of the mirror. I am now thinking it might be true as your cat is grooming at it. ;)

zararina, Dec 2, 2011
  11. zararina

PuppyChow Well-Known Member

So many great topics and replies. My dog is afraid of cats. Yes that is correct. He is so afraid of cats so that
    wont be a pet that I would be getting any time soon. He is afraid of the vacuum cleaner and the broom. Poor baby, he'll get over it.
    Only to figure out that those are the things that clean up after him ;)

PuppyChow, Dec 2, 2011
  12. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs are afraid of the vet. One shakes so hard as soon as we walk through the door, the other one tries to hide under the chairs.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  13. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

This is new to me. I never thought dogs could be afraid of the dark. Aren't dogs usually stayed quiet in one place when the whole household's asleep?

King Browny, Dec 3, 2011
  14. zararina

Some dogs adopt the characteristics of their owners. Maybe Beachhut is also afraid of the dark. That may the reason why Bulinggetirs is afraid of the dark.

Victor Leigh, Dec 3, 2011
  15. zararina

classy_ally Member

My dog is afraid of rustling leaves! lol! I almost died laughing when I was walking her one day. The wind picked up and so did she! Needless to say she did not think it was funny!

classy_ally, Dec 20, 2011
  16. zararina

summerRain Well-Known Member

Definitely thunderstorm! He will start running in the bathroom once he heard of that sound.

summerRain, Dec 20, 2011
  17. zararina

Anne New Member

My dog seems to be afraid of darkness. Whenever night comes my dog barks a whole lot, so I have to ensure that I leave on the light for him. If one of my neighbors go outside in the night, he also does not like that. He will just keep on barking non stop, until my neighbor goes back in his house.

Anne, Mar 24, 2012
  18. zararina

morst Active Member

My Yorkshire terrier is afraid of thunder ever since I got her from one of my friends when she was 7months old. Really don't know what caused this phobia. I asked my friend what could have brought this trauma on her, but he has no idea himself.

morst, Mar 24, 2012
  19. zararina

My Candy is afraid of heights. It's a weakness she had since she was a puppy. If I want to discipline her, I would just put her on the table and she would stay put there until I took her down. Quite a handy thing to do when I need to sweep the floor. Otherwise I will have to fight her for the broom.

Victor Leigh, Mar 25, 2012
  20. zararina

rachallen Member

My dog was fine until the Fourth of July. He heard the fireworks and was terrified. He will not go outside at night now. When we tell him to go outside doing the day, he runs right to the door. But, once it is dark outside, we will tell him to go outside and he runs to his kennel. It is so funny and a joke between our family now.

rachallen, Mar 25, 2012
Ask a Question