Is your dog afraid of any objects in your home?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shdws, Jan 18, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

My dog is dead scared of brooms for some unknown reason. I got him when he was 5 months old and I'm not sure how his previous owner treated him. I hate to think the worst, but maybe he was hit with a broom as a pup? Is your dog afraid of anything in your home?

shdws, Jan 18, 2013
  2. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer is scared of a vacuum cleaner, even when it's turned off. He always runs away when he sees it. He doesn't have any bad experiences with it so I don't understand his fear. When the vacuum is turned on, he usually just goes to sleep.
    I hope your dog wasn't hit with a broom, it would be awful:( . I think dogs are sometimes scared of some object without any reason.

claudine, Jan 19, 2013
  3. shdws

SweetBeast Well-Known Member

Good question shdws & Bobbi actually will go after the broom! if I am sweeping the deck, she comes closer to bark & nip at the broom ! So far, I have not noticed anything she is afraid of. She is definitely not afraid of her breakfast & dinner bowl!

SweetBeast, Jan 20, 2013
  4. shdws

pafjlh Well-Known Member

My dogs actually like to play with the brooms. Let me just put it this way, don't try to sweep the floor when Oso is around because he thinks the broom is a toy for him to chase and try to chew on. Perhaps this comes from the fact that he chew toys that swing around when he was a puppy.

My dogs don't seem to like the vacuum though, I think that comes from the loud noise that comes from it. I also remember the first Buddy not liking our over the door ironing board because of the noise it made when you first took it down. You would just have to open the door to the closet where it hangs and he would go running from the room.

pafjlh, Jan 20, 2013
  5. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

That is kind of strange, most dogs that I know of are only scared of the vacuum cleaner when it is turned on. I wonder what he thinks it is? A big roaring monster that is asleep maybe? :)

shdws, Jan 21, 2013
  6. shdws

I'm sure it's exactly what he thinks:p . I suppose he is too angry to be scared when I'm vacuuming and when the vacuum is turned off, he is just scared. Anyway, I know he really hates when I'm vacuuming near his bed, he probably doesn't like the smell.

claudine, Jan 22, 2013
  7. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

I've been trying to think on this since I first read it and I can't come up with anything he's scared of.

I suppose he used to be somewhat scared of one of the cats, but it's been long enough now that I think he's over it, hehe.

Jessi, Jan 23, 2013
  8. shdws

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dog used to be afraid of skateboards, so we had to train him to not be. We had to slowly introduce him to it and show him that it's nothing to be afraid of, and now he thinks of it as a toy that he loves to chase.

Nick87, Feb 9, 2013
  9. shdws

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't think this post box is large enough to list all the things Misha is afraid of. She is afraid of brooms and mops. She's afraid of the fly swatter. She is afraid of my Mom opening the blinds because she thinks she will be getting the fly swatter to kill something.

The most peculiar fear is her fear of the boxes of foil and plastic wrap. She hates the sound of them being torn off. She runs into the bedroom if she sees you bring the boxes out. She has the same fear of the big tape dispenser.

Melody, Feb 11, 2013
  10. shdws

Trellum Well-Known Member

My schnauzer isn't scared of an object in particular, but more scared of a whole room. There is a room in the house she will never enter, and if she does she let's me know she wants us both to leave (she makes a head movement), if I don't go with her she just leaves the room then.

Trellum, Feb 20, 2014
  11. shdws

This is weird. I'm wondering why is she scared of this room. Did something bad happened to her there? My Homer loves all rooms in our house. In fact, I'm pretty sure that he considers them "his":p

claudine, Feb 20, 2014
  12. shdws

I don't think so, I think she just doesn't feel comfortable there. This is a very old house where a lot things happened in the past. Maybe she can feel some weird vibes? I heard most dogs are very sensitive to that kind of things.

Trellum, Feb 24, 2014
  13. shdws

Yes, it's very possible. I, too, heard that dogs are very sensitive to this kind of things. I often think that they would tell us many interesting stories if they could talk:)

claudine, Feb 28, 2014
  14. shdws

Yeah, same here. I'm very sensitive to other people's emotions, so much sometimes they overwhelm me and actually I get to feel bad when the emotion is negative. I had a dog hat was lie that too, she was so sweet and always knew when I was sad or feeling down.

Trellum, Feb 28, 2014
  15. shdws

zararina Well-Known Member

He will be afraid on the sudden movement of the broom or stick like things as if he thinks that he will be hit by it.
    He used to be a stray puppy in our community and we have seen him being hit by strangers that he was trying to get attention to so, we understand him. He is even afraid to go out of our gate even for walk, he was just contented roaming in the house and in the compound.

zararina, Mar 10, 2014
  16. shdws

trishgl Well-Known Member

Claudine I totally understand, my chow is scared of vacuum cleaners as well. She has also not had any traumatic experience with it so I don't know why this happened. I've been thinking though that it might be the sound. A dog's hearing is very sensitive so it might be the high pitched whirling sound.

trishgl, Mar 21, 2014
  17. shdws

Yes, it's very possible that they're scared of the noise. And I think that the smell makes them nervous too. My vacuum cleaner always smells when I'm running it. I believe it can be annoying for a dog.

claudine, Mar 23, 2014
Ask a Question