Is your dog a companion, protector, or both?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I've known people who have been able to make a clear distinction between their dog and their family. The dog is an animal that is there to protect us and not to be treated like people, they might say. I've known others who treat their dog as their baby, maybe going a tad too far.

I see my dog as a mixture of both companion and protector. Though, I'm not sure how much fear a 9 lb. Jack Russell Terrier is going to instill in people. I have seen her get worked up about things. If I were a stranger, I wouldn't tempt her. But, mostly she is a companion and family member. Heck, I talk to her like a human, she might as well be a family member. LOL

How do you view your relationship with your dog(s)? Is your dog strictly a protector of your family and property? Is your dog a companion and friend? Is your dog a little bit of both?

Melody, Jul 12, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Companion.

While he would surely bark if there were an intruder and he is very, very protective of us....including to the point that family members have to be careful how long they hug or if they're play wrestling, because it upsets him.... I really don't think he would actively attack and protect to the extent that other dogs might.

Jessi, Jul 13, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Both.

However, in our culture, dogs are generally kept as protectors and this is unfortunate that most of them are chained or tethered all day. This makes them aggressive and unapproachable.

I was lucky enough to be able to set the house rules involving our dogs. They are free to roam, which is good because they certainly keep me happy.

haopee, Jul 16, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Haopee, from my own experience, I have found that most dogs don't need to be trained to protect their territory or to be made more aggressive for that purpose. It is an instinct they have. It's why they all go wild when the mail carrier attempts to deliver the mail. My sweet gentle Lab could be quite mean if a stranger or the mail carrier came into her territory. It's amazing how much a 75 lb. dog scares people. ;) But, I understand that people do things differently in different parts of the world.

It is sad to think of a dog tethered all the time. I know of people who have done that here. What a boring life for the dog. No wonder they become aggressive. I guess a dog like this isn't very good with the owners either, is it?

Also, I know of people who have worked to make their dogs mean. We caught a neighbor hanging his dog over a tree limb and beating it. We turned him in. He told the police he was trying to make his dog a protector and fighter. Too bad the dog didn't turn on him.

Melody, Jul 16, 2012
  5. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dear Mishka is a companion only. She is one big scaredy cat and is only brave and barks at something whenever we are around.It suits us as we live in a remote location and the only threats are wallaby in the vegetable gardens.

argon_0, Jul 16, 2012
  6. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Yes, Mel. But imagine a dog who's instinctively aggressive and then being tethered and bored all day with all those pent up energy. It's like courting disaster.

I have to admit that my mom is one of those people who wants our dog tethered all day because we actually don't have that much a choice because they try to escape. And she's had a very bad experience with our very first dog. We decided to have it roam free in our premises but she was able to get out. When she came back, she had a very large burn on her back. Someone poured hot water on her which is why my mom doesn't want our dogs roaming around.

That's why our dogs have a big "dog house". I built it with my own hands. It's 10x 5m area ( which isn't much to roam around but enough for them to be free rather than tethered). I walk them, train them and give them toys to get occupied with so they don't get bored easily.

haopee, Jul 16, 2012
  7. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My dogs are my friends. They keep me company. I keep them company. They look out for me. I look out for them. Simple arrangement.

Victor Leigh, Jul 16, 2012
  8. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

I think it is both. ;)
    It is their instinct to guard or protect even we do not train them for it. And definitely our dogs are our companions. Just like now, I am in between the two sleeping dogs. :p

zararina, Jul 16, 2012
  9. Melody

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Since I own more than one dog, they each serve a different purpose. My Golden Labrador is certainly more a companion than anything. He shows very little signs of any types of aggression. My Australian Shepherd serves as more of a guard dog. He is extremely protective and wary of strangers. I usually have to bring him inside of the house when a package is being delivered.

Shepherd, Jul 17, 2012
  10. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My dog is definitely my companion. We eat our meals at the same time, we wake up at the same hour, we talk - well, at least almost;) - and we play together all day long. He couldn't protect me even if he would like to because he is very little and not so strong. But we have a lot of fun together and I love his company.

claudine, Aug 23, 2012
Ask a Question