Is the chocolate myth true?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by DappleGrey, Mar 22, 2013.

1. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

I have heard of some dogs getting into a lot of stuff, such as paint, eating stuffing from a pillow or entire rolls of toothpaste... if those stories are true, why is it that chocolate seems to be the number 1 anthrax for our little pooches? Have you known anyone to experience a death to a dog caused by chocolate?

DappleGrey, Mar 22, 2013
  2. DappleGrey

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, not personally. Maybe my dogs are lucky in that I, myself, am not much of a chocolate person. However, I don't think the danger of chocolate to dogs is a myth at all. There have been well-documented cases of dogs dying from over-eating chocolate.

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2013
  3. DappleGrey

trishgl Well-Known Member

It's true that chocolate is bad for dogs.. Chocolate has theobromine which can interfere with the function of your dog's heart muscles, your dog’s nervous system and kidneys.

trishgl, Mar 23, 2013
  4. DappleGrey

claudine Well-Known Member

My friend's dog was very sick because he had eaten some chocolate - fortunately he is better now but everybody was very scared. Chocolate is dangerous, especially dark chocolate, milk one doesn't contain so much theobromine - but it still is toxic.

claudine, Mar 24, 2013
  5. DappleGrey

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, it's true. Part of the reason you may not hear about it as much is because not all dogs are attracted to chocolate in the first place. And a lot of people buy "cheap" quality chocolate which is going to have a much lower amount of theobromine in it than other varieties, so even if a dog eats some, it may only make them sick instead of kill them. A single chocolate bar for a large dog isn't necessarily going to kill a dog.

Jessi, Mar 25, 2013
  6. DappleGrey

Jessi Well-Known Member

Here's a good description of the differences:

So for tiny dogs, it might be a huge difference if they get into a chocolate bar, but for a lot, it's only going to cause vomiting, diarrhea, etc.

Jessi, Mar 25, 2013
  7. DappleGrey

Melody Well-Known Member

I've also heard that each dog has a different threshold. So, while your dog might pick up chocolate chip cookie crumbs and never have a problem, my dog might get sick after only a bite or two of chocolate.

Melody, Mar 25, 2013
  8. DappleGrey

DappleGrey Well-Known Member

That's actually very interesting! Thank you for this. I find it very unfortunate that dog's die from something so delicious.

DappleGrey, Mar 25, 2013
  9. DappleGrey

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if chocolate is as delicious for dogs as it is for humans to be honest. I'm sure that my Homer would prefer to get a nice, fresh carrot if I let him choose:)

claudine, Mar 25, 2013
  10. DappleGrey

zararina Well-Known Member

I just read about the danger of chocolates to dogs online.
    I used to give some amount of chocolates to our dogs but the moment I read about it online, I stopped giving chocolates since better sure than sorry. ;)

zararina, Mar 27, 2013
Ask a Question