Is it okay to give your dog a human name?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Angelle, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Angelle

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Oh, so that's Homer. I mean the character you named him after. All this while I was thinking of this other Homer.
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2013
  2. Angelle

claudine Well-Known Member

Haha, I don't see any resemblance either...well, maybe their hair are a little bit alike, lol:p
    Yesterday, my sister was watching a documentary movie about ancient Greeks and they mentioned Homer a few times. My Homer started to bark when he heard it:p

claudine, Mar 23, 2013
  3. Angelle

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I give Mishka one of those dental stix as I go out. I call them stay at home sticks and reinforce the fact she will have to stay home and behave herself.I would really like to take her out more often but doing a course at the moment would entail long waits in a car which I wouldn't do to her.

argon_0, Mar 24, 2013
  4. Angelle

trishgl Well-Known Member

My dachshund's name was Murphy and nobody I knew thought it was odd or that I was humanizing my pet. It does not really matter what the name of your dog is as long as you treat him well. Just because you give your pet a human name does not mean you'll forget his/her needs as an animal or that you will think the pet is more human.

trishgl, Mar 24, 2013
  5. Angelle

I'm sure waiting in the car wouldn't be fun for her so it's a good decision. But does she stay at home alone? I know that some dogs are scared of it. My Homer fortunately doesn't mind, he just goes to sleep.

claudine, Mar 24, 2013
  6. Angelle

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

I've had a lot of dogs over the years. Some have had human names, some have had "dog" names. I have three puppies right now named "Vita," "Tank," and "Who Dat." They have a half sister named "Holly," their dad is named "Beau," and their mom is "Mercie." Over the years I've had Oma, Copper, Jeff, Gracie, KeeKee, Glitter, Gypsy, and many more. I think it's just a matter of matching the dog to the name. They don't know their owner's language well enough to know what the name means or if it's a person's name or not.

LoupGarouTFTs, Mar 25, 2013
  7. Angelle

argon_0 Well-Known Member

We leave Mishka outside. I am concerned something may happen if left inside. Mostly the house catching fire. We have two woodfires sometime go at the same time.I leave out a large wool rug for her but she prefers not to use it. That's a dog for you. We have a large property so she doesn't wander off and after all these years is there when we get home though hides until she is sure it's us.:rolleyes:

argon_0, Apr 4, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  8. Angelle

But aren't you afraid that there may be snakes outside?
    It's so funny that Mishka hides until she is sure it's you:D . My Homer is always first to greet (or, should I say, bark at) everybody - and he doesn't care whether he knows this person or not. He is not shy at all:p

claudine, Apr 4, 2013
Ask a Question