Is barking bothering you

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Aug 16, 2012.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Like in the title: Is barking bothering you? Maybe this isn't perfectly normal, because I'm crazy for my little dog, but I love when he barks!:D I find it adorable, he has very funny and nice voice. It's like talking. He barks the most when he is happy, so this makes me smile. Unfortunately my boyfriend constantly complains that my dog is too loud. Is there anyone who also thinks that barking is cute?:oops:

claudine, Aug 16, 2012
  2. claudine

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't think constant barking is cute at all. I can see how the occasional barking because they're so happy could be cute. I understand why it would annoy the heck out of your boyfriend, though, especially if you encourage it.

Jessi, Aug 17, 2012
  3. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

It kind of annoys me now. After Chooey learned the trick "Bark", she's always bark here and bark there. And sure, she's a cute adorable shih tzu puppy. But she will eventually grow and that minuscule voice will turn into a loud annoying one because they are known to be great barkers (a.k.a warning signals).

haopee, Aug 20, 2012
  4. claudine

supergirl Active Member

My dog rarely barks, unless there is someone at the door. I find this really useful because we don't have a door bell, so without the dog, otherwise I would probably miss most of my deliveries. I imagine it is annoying for people who's dogs bark at every little noise though..

supergirl, Aug 26, 2012
  5. claudine

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Constant barking isn't a good thing, it's a display of anxiety, fear, and so many other negative implications. Of course dogs bark when they want to play, or need attention in good ways, but encouraging barking when it's not necessary, is a bad idea. It should be nipped in the bud as soon as possible.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 26, 2012
  6. claudine

Pocs Well-Known Member

Constant barking not only can get on your nerves, but it's a cue to find out what the problem is. I have my boys barks down pat. Yippy barks are always food or water related. If I don't make it home by their dinner time I'm confronted with these, until they are fed. The loud husky like bark is alarm of a stranger or another animal near by. Usually a check of the area and the barking stops.

Pocs, Aug 26, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  7. claudine

Melody Well-Known Member

I can't say that I enjoy Misha's barking at all. It's high pitched and yappy. Sometimes it gets right under my skin. Normally she hears some sound outside 10 blocks down and it gets her riled up.

What I do find cute is that Misha "talks". These are much lower key barks, yawns, and yips that she uses to communicate to us. Sometimes you can have a conversation with her going back and forth. She also has this grumble that reminds me a lot of Paw on the old Hillbilly Bears cartoon. I am sure when she does that as she is walking by it is some sarcastic remark being directed my way.

I realize that she is a chatty dog. So, I've been working on giving her acceptable times to yap and lessening the out of control barking at the door. She's learning how to "ask for dinner". And, you all know she can sing Happy Birthday. I try to talk to her

Melody, Aug 26, 2012
  8. claudine

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am not bothered much by the barking because Candy is a quiet dog. When she barks, that means something is really amiss.

The part I am more worried about is the howling. Sometimes in the middle of the night, some dog outside will start howling long and loud. Then Candy would join in. Good thing all the neighbors also have dogs and all the dogs are howling together so no one is going to complain about anyone's dog howling.

Victor Leigh, Aug 27, 2012
  9. claudine

remnant Well-Known Member

I am very liberal when it comes to animals because they are following their instincts and are not capable of offence. I recognise that barking is the language of dogs, its one of their means of expression when worried, threatened or excited. Over time, I I have learned to listen to the barks of distant dogs and they make me feel soporific.

remnant, Aug 16, 2016
  10. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Non stop barking, and barking for no reason bothers me a lot! It is annoying to hear it all the time. I have a neighbor whose dog barks whenever it is outside. My dog only parks when someone knocks on the door or come to the house. When he is outside with me, he keeps watched but not barking unless someone comes too close to me.

IcyBC, Aug 17, 2016
  11. claudine

Corzhens Well-Known Member

It's not just me but my husband is greatly irritated when our dogs bark. And when our dogs bark incessantly, my husband would scold the housemaids for letting the dogs bark. They should do something because my husband had already taught them to carry the small dogs so they would stop barking and the one dog who is quite big would stop barking when shown the slipper (in a manner of threatening). It's not good to let the dogs bark because they get dehydrated aside from the stress. That's why we give them water after their barking.

Corzhens, Aug 17, 2016
  12. claudine

cluckeyo Active Member

Valentine barks only when a car goes by outside or if she wants something. Sometimes if I leave the room, she will bark, wanting me to come back in the room. That's kinda funny. She will keep barking until I get back. Usually 10 minutes before supper time she will go by her bowl and start barking. She is a smart dog.

cluckeyo, Aug 17, 2016
  13. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I can't say I like the barking and in the case of my little ones they barking isn't happy barking. Sometimes I think they are commanding me to open the dog with a bark- at least two of them. One to let her out and the other to let her back in. In the meantime they all bark at some "strays" who won't stop coming by and digging in the garbage etc. These dogs never bark interestingly enough. Mine go crazy and it drives my husband crazy and he lets them outside which mean I can't use the ignore technique to train them. It's a right mess at times.

Winterybella, Aug 17, 2016
  14. claudine

Cheezy Member

My dogs usually bark only when there are strangers or when something's wrong and I appreciate the barking in that sense. Besides, they have such soft tiny voices that they never really irritate me. They cuddle when they're happy. My neighbor's dog bark loudly very early in the morning and that could get really annoying if you want to stay longer in bed.

Cheezy, Aug 17, 2016
  15. claudine

Jules606 New Member

It does't bother me. People talk. Dogs bark.)

Jules606, Jan 20, 2017
  16. claudine

Loki Member

It really depends! Sometimes I think barking is cute. I'm in the minority here, sorry, but some dogs barking is really piercing to my ears. It kills me when Corgis bark.

Loki, Apr 14, 2017
  17. claudine

Brunski's mom Member

It doesn't bother me since my dog bark is kind of funny to me. It's like in falsetto, you know like when they are little puppies, it's like she never got rid of that tone. :)

Brunski's mom, Nov 30, 2017
  18. claudine

mikaelathompson Member

Yep it does bother me. But only in the middle of the night. The barking will not stop for whatever reason until you need to get out of bed and see for yourself and make thing clear out of it. I mean get away anything that dog feel not uncomfortable to see something, like another dog just passed by

mikaelathompson, Jun 30, 2018
Ask a Question