Interesting Facts About Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

There are some really interesting tidbits on the "Fun Dog Fact" page.

http://www.funnyfidos.com/fun-dog-facts/

I've learned a couple of things. I didn't know that dogs had sweat glands in their paws, for instance. I wonder what the purpose of that is?

They have 220 million smell detecting cells. No wonder my dogs knows I'm eating when she is supposed to be sound asleep!

Enjoy the facts! Did you learn anything from this page?

Melody, Jun 9, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice link.
    I had learned a lot of new things about dogs on it.
    I am also not aware that they have sweat glads at their paws and wonder if that makes them slipped sometimes. :p

zararina, Jun 9, 2012
  3. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Here's an interesting fact I'd like to expand. Did you know that, statistically speaking, when dog vibrissae are cut short, it hardly affects the dog? While when done to cats, most of them will possibly lose their balance and sensitivity.

Thank you for sharing them. I was able to learn about the history of tail docking. I didn't know it started that early. Moreover, I was rather surprised at the reason why they believe it should be done.

haopee, Jun 9, 2012
  4. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

That's an interesting list to study. Thank you for the link. I have already bookmarked it to study it in detail later. As for the sweat glands on the paws, that's news to me, too. I only know that dogs don't have sweat glands on their skin which is why they pant when they are hot. Panting is a dog's way of cooling its body.

Victor Leigh, Jun 9, 2012
  5. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing the link. :) I've heard so many times that dogs are color blind so it was interesting to hear that it's a myth and that they can acutally see colors. I remember as a child being sad looking at my dogs as I thought they missed out on a world full of color. I also think it's cute that 80% of dog owners buy them presents. I admit we always brought our dogs small birthday and christmas presents. My family members would also buy each other gifts on behalf of the family dogs on peoples birthdays or on christmas.

tajnz, Jun 12, 2012
  6. Melody

From what I have read on the matter, dogs are not actually color blind.

However, it seems that when things are not moving, it's all in shades of gray to the dog. Then when something moves, that thing which is moving shows up in full color. That's how dogs can make out small movements which are not discernible to us.

Some dogs, I read somewhere, are trained to move their heads from side to side so as to see things in full color all the time. However, I don't see what's the point of this kind of training.

Victor Leigh, Jun 12, 2012
  7. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Wait, really? I had no idea it might go back THAT far and certainly had no idea it was related to a belief that it'd prevent rabies. :S I guess I'd never really thought about where it came from though either.

Jessi, Jun 12, 2012
  8. Melody

Prevent rabies? That's news to me. When I was reading up on why a Dobermann's tail is docked, the reason given is that without a tail, it is less likely to be grabbed in a vulnerable position.

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  9. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

These facts are very interesting! I love learning new things about dogs. But "Dogs don’t like rain because the sound is amplified and hurts their very sensitive ears." - is it really true? I've always thought that what Homer hates the most about the rain is the possibility of getting wet. I had no idea that he might be bothered by the sound of it.

claudine, Jun 5, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  10. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka can't stand the sound of snow when she is inside and the wind is another story. Even though we can hardly hear snow she gets incredibly nervous and hides under beds, coffee tables and once behind a leaning wall mirror which she managed to tip over in the middle of the night breaking it.
    The wind on the other hand whistles through the trees on top of this mountain and sounds as loud as the surf on a windy beach.

In 1957, Laika became the first living being in space via an earth satellite.

In fact Laika never made it back to earth.:(

argon_0, Jun 8, 2013
  11. Melody

I hope that it doesn't snow too often in your area then. Somehow I never have thought that dogs may be nervous because of sounds like this.

What happened to her?:(

claudine, Jun 8, 2013
  12. Melody

I think she may have died on re-entry from the heat. I've also heard that the dogs were trained to swallow a poison on command so as not to suffer. As far as I know a lot of stray dogs were used in early day space flights.:(

argon_0, Jun 10, 2013
  13. Melody

This is so extremely cruel! In my opinion no one has any right to run experiments on animals. I'm sure that all of these dogs were really scared and had absolutely no idea what is going on and why people did this to them. I have no words, it's just too awful:(

claudine, Jun 11, 2013
  14. Melody

Experiments on dogs and of course other animals are really awful. I've seen some television documentaries recently that I wish I never saw because of some of the horrific experiments that they did in days gone by.:(

argon_0, Jun 15, 2013
  15. Melody

This is why whenever I plan to buy a cosmetic or something like this, I always make sure that it wasn't tested on animals. It would break my heart if I find out that I'm supporting these monsters that run experiments on dogs:mad:

claudine, Jun 20, 2013
  16. Melody

There is some controversy where cosmetics are made. Companies can continue this practice if done say in China where their laws insist on animal testing and then these cosmetics are marketed in countries outside the EU. You may wish to check on this and the company that makes your products even though they may say not tested on animals, their China production is.

http://www.crueltyfreeinternational...ng-for-cosmetics-in-europe-finally-set-to-end

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/cosmetic_testing/qa/questions_answers.html

argon_0, Jun 23, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  17. Melody

Thank you for sharing the links. To be honest, I had no idea about this China production:eek: . I definitely must do some research, I will check all my cosmetics. I don't want to use anything that was tested on poor animals.

claudine, Jun 24, 2013
  18. Melody

I had a bit of a google and even "the" company that states it uses natural ingredients is now owned by one of the biggest companies with sales in China.
    I hope you can find those products that are not tested on animals or companies that don't play a double game, professing one thing in a sensitive market and doing this other business in countries that have no animal protection.

argon_0, Jun 24, 2013
  19. Melody

I really hope that I'll find products not tested on animals because I wouldn't be to happy if it turned out that I can't use any of my cosmetics. Why so many companies cheat like this? Why everything has to be about the money?:(

claudine, Jun 26, 2013
  20. Melody

So true. Though I guess if you can find smaller companies that sell closer to home rather than world wide then not only will animals not be tested on you will be supporting locally made products. I read that Poland has a thriving cosmetic industry but I guess it's whether they manufacture in China that would be the concern.

argon_0, Jun 28, 2013
Ask a Question