Indoor potty training for small dogs

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by pugskjj, Jul 24, 2012.

1. pugskjj

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Ok, so as you all know I have 2 very small dogs and one small dog; and what some don't know is that I am handicap. When I got Kotton I was living in a 2nd floor apartment and she was so tiny I was afraid she would freeze (I still worry) so I litter trained her; well that worked until a cat visited and used her litter box and now she refuses to even look at one. So I use wee pads for her and have since she was 6 months old. When I got Kash and Koko I knew I would have issues because Kotton was trained indoor so they were going to see indoor potty getting rewarded (Kotton does this cute little dance if you say "Yay Kotton!") so I decided to indoor train them as well.

I don't ONLY use wee pads, they do go outside and they will potty as soon as they get out. Koko and Kotton don't really present a problem with this (I now live in a downstairs apartment, in the basement) but Kash has gotten bigger and therefore has bigger potties (I can't think of how else to phrase that) but I can't punish her for going inside when the other girls do.

So long story longer :p Do you indoor train your small dogs? Have you gotten a larger dog at the same time? If so how did you handle it?

pugskjj, Jul 24, 2012
  2. pugskjj

Pocs Well-Known Member

My dogs because of their size, have to potty a lot which I'm sure your all to familiar with, do both. I'm disable myself but I do try to get them outside as much as possible. Liter training didn't work from day one. I did use wee pads also and from some reason, whenever they spotted a plastic bag on the floor, it became a wee pad also, don't know, don't ask. LOL. I finally relied on the tried but true, newspaper. A little harder to clean up, but it works for us.

Pocs, Aug 3, 2012
  3. pugskjj

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Try putting cardboard under the newspaper, or put the wee pads under the newspaper to work it in there instead of paper. I had to ease Kotton into wee pads because she was used to newspaper, which is what I went to after litter, and that is how I did it with her. The other two have always been really good about it. They do go out often, but there is no way I could go up the stairs as many times as they would want!

pugskjj, Aug 3, 2012
Ask a Question