I need help with my bulldog shedding

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rachallen, Mar 25, 2012.

1. rachallen

rachallen Member

Help! I have 3 small kids and feel like I vacuum my home 3 or 4 times a day because of all of the shedding from our 2 year old bulldog. When I pet him, I can see hairs flying everywhere. Does anyone have any advice for this, or is this something that I just deal with. I knew he would shed, but it seems excessive to me. Also, has anyone tried the shedding brush (I can't remember what it is called), and does it really work? Thanks!

rachallen, Mar 25, 2012
  2. rachallen

King Browny Well-Known Member

You're right. Dogs will shed whether we like it or not. I suggest you brush your dog regularly to get rid of already shedding hair. Er, you should never get tired of vacuuming because that is one way to keep the house free of hairs. True enough furs are bad for the kids’ health even adults. My brother had an asthma-like attack because of inhaling dog hairs every morning. Cover your furniture where the dogs are allowed especially the ones where their hairs tend to stick. And bath them occasionally. Isn’t regular shampooing added to hairfall?

King Browny, Mar 26, 2012
  3. rachallen

zararina Well-Known Member

Limiting the area where your dog can access could help avoid dog hairs to be everywhere in your house specially on the places where kids usually stay.
    Not sure if shedding can be caused by different factors like it could be food related or certain skin problem. And maybe a visit in a vet could help you learn what exactly causing it to get solution for it too.

zararina, Mar 26, 2012
  4. rachallen

trishgl Well-Known Member

I have a chow-chow and they shed like crazy when its their season. You literally see fur balls rolling around if you aren't on top of your game. First off its best to brush your pet each morning so that any lose hair ends up it the dust bin and not a fur ball on the floor. My floor is now sans carpets since bare floors are easier to clean. I actually bought one of those mops that's made specially to pick up dry dirt from your floor. It works for me. At any time during the day I can whip that out and in a couple of minutes my floor is clean. It's light, you don't have to assemble anything and no power cords to trip you up. I run that mop over my floors twice a day.

trishgl, Nov 23, 2013
  5. rachallen

dodgesnose Member

Same problem with my aunt's great pyreness Roger, he's two years old and seems like shedding whole year round. Just last month, he had that excessive shedding which the groomer called "coat blowing" so to help more on getting much hair as possible, she recommended this undercoat rake, see attached pic.
    We got this at http://www.petstreetmall.com and we say its really working. Maybe ask your vet for more info about coat blowing which usually when winter season coming, or for any possible skin issue.

Attached Files:

dodgesnose, Nov 28, 2013
  6. rachallen

Alpha1 Active Member

Try limiting his movements to see if that works. I know it sounds harsh but that might be a temporary solution as you look for a permanent one.

Alpha1, Nov 20, 2015
  7. rachallen

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Our weather is changing right now, and my dog is changing his fur too. He sheds year round but at this time, is even more! I change his food from chicken to salmon loaded with vitamins to help the shedding and bought a de-shedding tool brush to use on him. It helps a little but there is still hair all over every corner. My floor looks like snow if I don't sweep it at least two times a day.

IcyBC, Nov 25, 2015
Ask a Question