How your dog react with other dogs?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by zararina, Dec 7, 2011.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog seems to be very angry when he will see some dogs passing in our gate. It would not matter if its a female or male dog. He seems to be barking a lot and seems ready to fight any dog passing if he could just go out of our gate.
    Does your dog react that way too?

zararina, Dec 7, 2011
  2. zararina

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

If your dog is on the opposite side of a fence from another dog and is barking, then he has got "barrier aggression." It's a pretty normal thing, since dogs are territorial. Only some of my dogs are aggressive this way. I have a couple that just ignore any dogs going by, as long as the other dogs don't come up to the fence.

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 8, 2011
  3. zararina

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog is dog-aggressive. He's OK with some dogs he knows but dogs we see when out on walks, not a good situation. He barks, lunges, growls you name it. We're working on it and it's going a bit better but it's quite stressful.

MakingCents, Dec 8, 2011
  4. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

You may think that your dog is angry. For all we know, it may just be saying 'Hi', albeit in a loud way.

Victor Leigh, Dec 8, 2011
  5. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

There’s this really fearsome black Pitbull in a neighbor’s place. You would feel fear from dogs (including ours) in crossing that zone where the pitbull is shackled (really thick metal chain). Shakira would actually stop and turn her back when the pitbull would stand and growl. I guess a dog can sense it if the other dog is really dangerous.

King Browny, Dec 8, 2011
  6. zararina

Oh yes, dogs are a lot smarter than most people in sizing up the situation. Whenever someone new visits me, I watch how Candy reacts. Most of the time if Candy disapproves, the visitor will eventually turn out to be up to no good.

Victor Leigh, Dec 14, 2011
  7. zararina

amy005 Well-Known Member

My dog is also angry and barks a lot when he sees other dogs when we are taking walks together. He is however very good with dogs that he knows. He plays well with them.

amy005, Dec 15, 2011
  8. zararina

Haha! It’s good that dogs aren’t that trusting. They don’t have this “give this someone the benefit of the doubt”. It’s always like pass through me first and if I feel it in my bones that you’re alright you can proceed to my master. :D

King Browny, Dec 16, 2011
  9. zararina

That's right. Dogs don't have this problem about giving face, whatever that means. Also dogs are not corruptible. I know because my Candy is totally unmoved by bribes, even if the bribe is a piece of roast chicken.

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  10. zararina

Speaking of bribe, did you train your dog not to accept anything from a stranger? Say a mouth-watering meat thrown at his paws. How can a dog resist that? o_O

King Browny, Dec 16, 2011
  11. zararina

morst Active Member

Never had any problems with all my dogs regarding their social behavior towards other canines. This is because I make it a point to have them familiarized with other dogs when they are still very young.

morst, Apr 3, 2012
  12. zararina

stefano13 Member

It's normal that barking at others dogs, he protects you and his territory,try to get him a place a little more secluded, so he don't see every moment other dog's switch opposite at your's gate.

stefano13, Apr 28, 2012
  13. zararina

kinser Well-Known Member

My dogs go nuts when they see another dog pass our property. It is the natural instinct of a dog to protect his property, so barking like that is a warning against trespassing!

kinser, Apr 28, 2012
  14. zararina

Well, Candy is a very fussy eater. She wouldn't eat the same kind of food three days in a row. Even if the food is freshly-grilled chicken. So I don't think anyone can bribe her. She's more like likely to spring at the throat of the briber. And when Bangkeaws clamp down their jaws, they don't let go.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
Ask a Question