How your dog react when you come home

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by zararina, Nov 30, 2011.

1. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Now, isn't that nice - A pair for each of your males. Guess they are the soul-mates in your neighborhood. :D

King Browny, Mar 8, 2012
  2. zararina

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

My daughters 3 dogs all jump and have sharp nails...I hate that part.

SallyintheValley, Mar 10, 2012
  3. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I would think that just one Golden is more than enough dog to have jumping all over you. Of course, Goldens are so amiable you just can't get annoyed with them.

Victor Leigh, Mar 11, 2012
  4. zararina

wils172 Active Member

Yep it did work out really well :)

wils172, Mar 13, 2012
  5. zararina

Now that the wedding bells have rung, when shall we expect the baby showers, so to say?

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
  6. zararina

Mimij Member

Mine do pretty much the same. They come running into the living room with tails wagging. They are so excited. Doesn't matter if we are gone 20 minuets or 8 hours. I usually call out and make a big deal about coming in. My girls honestly smile when we come home!

Mimij, Mar 28, 2012
  7. zararina

I have noticed that, too. As far as welcoming fervor is concerned, my dogs do not differentiate between my being gone for 20 minutes or 8 hours, too. If only our spouses are that enthusiastic.

Victor Leigh, Mar 29, 2012
  8. zararina

christina Member

My female Beagle runs around in circles for about 3 minutes without stopping everytime we pull in the driveway. My male Beagle just jumps on me and wants me to pet him. My Pitbull is just a big baby. He may look mean but he's not. He rolls over on his back and wants a tummy rub.

christina, Mar 29, 2012
  9. zararina

tamlet New Member

my dog gets excited and jumps all over me when i come home

tamlet, Mar 31, 2012
  10. zararina

Jessi Well-Known Member

They're definitely excited. I could be just outside the door, walking to the mailbox or something, and he'll be stoked to see me come back. It doesn't matter if I'm gone for 5 minutes or 5 hours, it seems, lol. I think every dog is like that really, assuming they like you. :p

Jessi, Apr 1, 2012
  11. zararina

Just outside the door? That's quite close. Candy can detect me when I reach the turn into the lane that leads to my house which is at the end of the lane, easily a distance of 100 meters. I know before my father is in the house and he can tell that I am coming home when he sees Candy pricking up her ears and go stand at the front door. I use three different bikes and she can recognize all of them. Or does she smell me that far away?

Victor Leigh, Apr 1, 2012
  12. zararina

Jessi Well-Known Member

She likely picks up on the sound, whether it's your voice, vehicle, footsteps, whatever.

And yes, mine knows I'm still nearby, but is equally excited to actually be -with- me, in the same room, where he can see and touch me, so it doesn't seem to matter if I really leave or not.

Jessi, Apr 1, 2012
  13. zararina

Pick up a sound out of so many others at 100 meters? That's quite a feat. In that case, either Candy has super hearing or she loves me so much she can just sense in her heart when I am coming home.

Victor Leigh, Apr 2, 2012
  14. zararina

morst Active Member

This is one consolation that I enjoy with my dogs. They are all very excited whenever I come home from work. Maybe they missed me that much...lol

morst, Apr 3, 2012
  15. zararina

stefano13 Member

Dogs are pets and so they have to learn to interact with us in ways that we appreciate.
    Dogs normally greet each other with a set sequence of moves, and the Alpha gets shown respect and huge broad slow tail swings.

stefano13, Apr 30, 2012
  16. zararina

kinser Well-Known Member

My dogs go crazy whenever anyone in our family returns home. My German shepherd barks and "talks" excitedly, and my Lab/Rott mix makes a low gurlgly greeting sound (I much prefer this one to the shepherd's, LOL - it's a lot easier on the ears). They dance around and act like you were gone for a year.

kinser, Apr 30, 2012
  17. zararina

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka's a scaredy cat. We live way up in the forest and whenever we come home she is hiding under the house until we are out and call her. She is definitely happy to see us and is not quite a guard dog. Though if we are home and someone visits she is soo tough.

argon_0, May 2, 2012
  18. zararina

kristyleann Member

Peaches is usually outside when I get home so she comes up to the car when I pull into the drive way. I open the door and pet her some and then she takes off running as I'm getting out and literally goes around the property 2 or 3 times (we have about an acre of land). Then she follows me to the door of the house and if she gets on the porch before me she runs in tiny circles until I get there and then I let her in with me.

I have no idea why she runs the boarder of the yard like that! Dad says it's her way of making sure no intruders are around (to protect us I guess). I don't know about that but it's cute to think that might be why. :)

kristyleann, May 2, 2012
  19. zararina

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol! It might be more about her just being that excited. Instead of jumping up on you and freaking out, she runs off her energy. She just runs and runs all the way around and then makes it back to you to head inside at the same time. :)

Jessi, May 5, 2012
  20. zararina

Karen Member

Lol, y'all are funny. I love Golden Retrievers, they are probably one of my favorite dogs. so loving and loyal. At one time I found myself with having about five dogs also, but all different kinds. I had my Chihuahua that I have now, then I had my Retriever/dachshund mix, my Rottweiler, my daughter's blue nose Pit, then my sons Shepard mix. And all of them were such lovable dogs. Sadly I had to have my Retriever/dachshund (Shorty) mix and Rottweiler (Coa Coa) put down because Shorty was old 14 and became deaf and blind all about the same time, he wouldn't eat or drink water and just stayed to himself next to the wall, and my Rottweiler lol 100 lb baby is what she was, but she was around nine years old and got hip dysplasia and she couldn't even turn herself without being in severe pain. My daughter don't live with me they have their own place and she still has her Pit (Lady) and the Shepard mix puppy my son had to give away because they (his wife and him) didn't have time to train and tend to her like she needed. But my favorite was Shorty and Coa Coa.

I can walk out to go check my mail and when I walk back in you'd think I'd been gone for a year the way Tippy jumps around and whines and makes all kinds of little noises lol.

Karen, May 17, 2012
Ask a Question