How was your first nights with your new dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, May 29, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Can you still recall the first couple of nights with your newly adopted family member?

I remember my first nights with Peanuts. Whenever I would move from one room to another, she would follow me. Whenever I would go to the bathroom, she would follow me and wait for me 'til I was done. When she sees me all settled back in my bed, she would then curl up on her own pillow and go back to sleep.

What were your first nights like? Did you have to bear with some howling and whining? Or was your dog a good puppy?

haopee, May 29, 2012
  2. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Whenever I get a new puppy, I would let it sleep with me on my bed for at least a few days. This is my way of helping the puppy adjust to its new home. Plus sleeping in the same bed makes for good bonding.

Victor Leigh, May 29, 2012
  3. haopee

Melody Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness, yes! She was barely eight weeks old. She slept in her crate. She cried off and on all night long. I remember clearly because it was only a week after Sierra died when I got her. I was still exhausted from helping her in and out of the house. I went from taking care of a disabled elderly dog to taking care of a helpless puppy.

I crate trained her. I slept on the couch with the crate near me. I'd wake her up around 4 am, so she could go potty.

She was so small that she could not climb up the little ledge off the back sliding door (it was only 6 or 7 inches). We had a ramp that my Dad made for Sierra. Misha needed it just so she could get back in the house. She was like a dog sized guinea pig.

Melody, May 30, 2012
  4. haopee

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Milla slept with me on my room the first day, as we had nowhere to tuck her into otherwise. I was afraid of making any sudden movements in bed (as I'm one of those guys who tend to roll around and shift a lot before finally falling asleep a couple of minutes later), and...well, I honestly cried silently, because I just couldn't help but think that I would outlive this creature that was merely two months old, and how I wanted her short life (in my human perspective), to be the best possible life she could have.

NewDCD, May 30, 2012
  5. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I can still remembers my first day/night with our recent dog.
    He was around 3 mos already when we adopt him (he is a stray dog in our community). He looks really nice and bit shy getting close to us but eventually, he really feels at home. ;)

zararina, May 30, 2012
  6. haopee

Ja'cobeC Member

I remember my first night with my dog in our new house. He wasn't trained and used to pee all over my room lol. I never let he sleep in my bed or room because of that. I miss me dog so much.

Ja'cobeC, May 30, 2012
  7. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Wow, that's dedication to you. Has she ever soiled her crate? That's just cute. She was too small for the doggy door that you had to place a ramp on it. LOL.

Peanuts wasn't crate trained because I didn't have one back then. When I was able to go to city which had pet stores, the crate I had bought was too small for her so it was given to Chooey, her smaller pack sister.. :oops:

haopee, May 31, 2012
  8. haopee

Ah, that's one of the most tragic things about owning a dog. Generally speaking we will outlive our pets. That's inevitable. This is when we realize that life is so short. And we have so little time to share with the ones we love.

Victor Leigh, Jun 4, 2012
  9. haopee

NewDCD Well-Known Member

I realized that...and I saw her so small, so vulnerable....a child, and I would see her live and die. I think it just hit me like a freaking truck, since I value life that much.

Mom wants to neuter her, but seriously...at the very least, I want to carry her legacy and bloodline to the future. I hope I can convince her otherwise.

NewDCD, Jun 4, 2012
  10. haopee

I see a battle ahead of you. Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes. I would wait till the little puppy has grown up before I make a decision. Things change as dogs grow up. Some changes can be quite unbelievable. So I would wait for a couple of years before I make a decision about the neutering.

Victor Leigh, Jun 5, 2012
  11. haopee

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Yeah. I want to wait, but my mom wants to get dead-set on neutering her. I hope I can change her mind, or something. At least get some time.

NewDCD, Jun 6, 2012
  12. haopee

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Yes I do and so do the cats! He was a four month old stray and weighed around 45 lbs. Sweet pup but didn't wag his tail for the first few weeks. The cats were not happy that I brought him home, they were dog proofed but not up for a puppy.

firelily99, May 1, 2014
  13. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

Our first nights were hard. Homer was completely terrified. I think he missed his mother and sister. We had to carry him and pet him. He used to wake up at least once an hour. It was quite heartbreaking to see him so sad and scared:(
    Fortunately, now he's a really happy dog and he loves us and our home.

claudine, Jan 4, 2015
  14. haopee

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Well I have a new "guest" but already she seems to be settling in for the long haul. This is day five and last night for the first time I was super miserable. I felt overwhelmed, so very overwhelmed. Then I started to be mad at everybody.

So at this point I'd have to say my first nights have been mixed.

Winterybella, Mar 19, 2015
  15. haopee

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Friday was so cool and all chilled! She saw me put my head on the pillow one night before, then next day she built her own pillow with a small carpet, lol. She wanted to imitate mommy!!!!!

Trellum, Jun 18, 2015
  16. haopee

LilAnn Well-Known Member

It was a really good night. When I get a new dog I try to be soothing and I try to get them comfortable with me. So the first night, I let them sleep with me. On the first night it would take an atom bomb to get them out of my bed. Lol

LilAnn, Jun 21, 2015
  17. haopee

Trellum Well-Known Member

That is so nice and sweet of you :) I should have done the same with my Frida, but I was kinda afraid to roll over her or something, she was so small when I got her! Now she can sleep with me when she wants, during winter she likes to sleep over the covers.

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  18. haopee

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My dogs are big enough by the time I let them sleep with me that they'll hurt me before I have a chance to hurt them. Lol
    If I had one of those little dogs, I'd be terrified I would hug it to hard or step on his feet or something, and break him.

LilAnn, Jun 22, 2015
  19. haopee

Winterybella Well-Known Member

IMG_20150221_195437 (1).jpg You can't roll over her. She would probably push you off. Zola is kind of big for a small dog but these won't be squashed. They are more likely to sit in your face.

Winterybella, Jun 22, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  20. haopee

LilAnn Well-Known Member

The picture is the perfect picture if a happy dog, haha
    So cute!​

LilAnn, Jun 22, 2015
Ask a Question