How to stop dogs from urinating in the house

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Denisab82, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Denisab82

Denisab82 Member

Do you have any tips on how to stop our Chihuahua from urinating in our house? She is housebroken, because she will sometimes "ask" to go outside, but other times she will just urinate in various places on the floor. I thought it was something in the breed, because a friend of mine also has a Chihuahua and she does the same thing. How can we get her to stop?

Denisab82, Apr 28, 2012
  2. Denisab82

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

This needs some close observation and nifty footwork. Dogs, like kids, normally need to go after a meal or after a nap. So take your Chihuahua outside after every meal and after every nap. See if things improve.

Victor Leigh, Apr 28, 2012
  3. Denisab82

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, let her out during the times that you think she will do her thing. So that she will have that habit to only urinate outside.

zararina, Apr 29, 2012
  4. Denisab82

MakingCents Well-Known Member

IF you find a good solution please share. My dog goes when we are gone from home, even though I know he can hold it for 10-12 hours when we are home if he has to.

MakingCents, Apr 30, 2012
  5. Denisab82

kinser Well-Known Member

I wish I had some advice. I have heard that small dogs are exceptionally hard to house-train, so maybe it does have something to do with the breed. Does she do it out of excitement, or could it be a medical problem? Spayed females often have problems holding urine.

kinser, May 2, 2012
  6. Denisab82

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, small dogs are not exceptionally hard to house-train. It all depends on how you do it. I always have a leash on standby to deal with stubborn dogs. Yes, sometimes, dogs do squirt a bit when they are too excited. Like when I am away for a couple of days, Candy would be so over-joyed to see me again that she literally wets herself.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
Ask a Question