How to keep dogs in their pin?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by christina, Mar 22, 2012.

1. christina

christina Member

We have to beagles that will dig their way out of their pin. We only want to keep them in their pin during the night. We have coyotes bad at night. I'm scared they will end up getting hurt. So does anyone know how to keep them from digging?

christina, Mar 22, 2012
  2. christina

wils172 Active Member

If they want to dig they will dig.. you're best bet would be to have the fence buried about a foot or so they can't dig under it easily.

wils172, Mar 22, 2012
  3. christina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Not sure about Beagles but burying a fence once foot deep won't deter a Bangkeaw. Neither, I read somewhere, would that deter an Akira. There are some breeds which seem to think that digging holes and tunnels under fences are their vocation in life.

Victor Leigh, Mar 23, 2012
  4. christina

haopee Well-Known Member

I agree. What wils172 said was the best solution you may have for now. Beagles, like most hounds, just love escaping and if they're set to leave an area because they've caught a scent, there's no stopping them. I've seen lazy Basset Hounds speed up to get out of the fence with every opportunity they get.

Dogs who don't get enough exercise each day resort to different unwanted behaviors. If you have spare time, I suggest you walk your dogs twice a day or exercise them vigorously. Hopefully, that gets them tired enough to forget about the hole. Or you could place interesting yard toys out at night, such as Kongs packed with sticky food treats or peanut butter.

There are other ways you can try. One is to bury their feces in where they dig. Another is to put sprinklers near the fence and when you catch them in the act, turn it on. Most of these can deter digging.

You could also tie them up with a very long leash at nights so you won't need to worry much and simply free them in the morning, or you could resort to electronic collars. These two are solutions as well, but not necessarily the best ones.

haopee, Mar 23, 2012
  5. christina

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I can relate! We have a beagle also and they are escape artist! What we did to keep ours in the yard is we put down chicken wire along the bottom of the fence. You would have to attach it to the fence and then stake it down to the ground but it works! Eventually the grass grows up through the fence and you can't tell it's there and it will still keep the dogs from digging out. Here's a picture of part of my yard.
    [​IMG]

SheWolfSilver, Mar 23, 2012
    christina likes this.
  6. christina

zararina Well-Known Member

That chicken wire seems to be a good idea.
    We cemented all the area here so that our dogs cannot dig any of it anymore. Maybe cementing just the side of the pin or fence can be a possible option for you.

zararina, Mar 25, 2012
    christina likes this.
  7. christina

christina Member

I like the idea of the chicken wire. We will definately be trying this. If it doesn't work then cement would be our next step. They are hunting dogs so as others were saying they pick up on every smell. All night long they are barking at something. Good thing we don't have neighbors. Thanks for the ideas.

christina, Mar 25, 2012
Ask a Question