How to give your dog pills

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Jessi, Jul 22, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  2. Jessi

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Love the look on the dogs face.:) Still laughing.
    I never considered using peanut butter. It's usually a crushed tablet mixed into the dog food.

argon_0, Jul 23, 2012
  3. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

I am assuming that last photo is after medication. LOL

I have tried many ways over the years to get a dog to take a pill. I've tried the pill shooter. Great, unless the dog is afraid of the shooter. I've tried a hot dog, cheese, and other foods. The dog is too clever. They separate food from pill and spit the pill out. I've tried the pill pockets. Same problem. Pill pocket swallowed...pill left on the ground.

Misha is a difficult dog when it comes to pills. Plus, her pills are usually so small that I sometimes can't tell if she took it or not. She will eat anything wrapped in peanut butter. My method is to put the pill in the middle of a peanut butter ball. I give her a taste on my fingers, then smash the ball into the roof of her mouth. By the time she has gotten over her peanut butter bliss, she has swallowed the pill.

Melody, Jul 23, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  4. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

Oh this was hilarious. Thank you for sharing this. It's true that Peanut Butter or Cheese Melt is the best way to make a dog swallow the pills. Good thing Peanuts has no problems eating them... I would just put it in her mouth and she does the work.

Occasionally she would spit it out so I just stick it her throat and she looks at me as if wondering what I did but after that she goes to her water bowl.

Ginger, on the other hand, is another story. She wouldn't allow anything to be inserted in her mouth other than food. The first time our vet gave her a pill for deworming, she jerked her head a lot. She ended up loosing a tooth that day.

haopee, Jul 24, 2012
  5. Jessi

King Browny Well-Known Member

Haha! The thing you would do to have your dog take his medication.

I never tried peanut butter it seems it made the job easier. Normally, like argon_0, I would mix the pills in their food. But sometimes, I don’t know if they can smell it because once they sniff the food with meds, they won’t eat it. The simplest way is to put the pill near their throat for swallowing. But then again, there are dogs who know how to spit it out. *facepalm

King Browny, Jul 24, 2012
  6. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have never tried peanut butter before and I don't think I have to.

Dark Lady, my Dobermann, is the easiest to feed any pills. She will actually wait for it. Candy, my Bangkeaw, is at the other end of the spectrum. She would totally refuse to open her mouth. So the only way to do it is to slip it in from the side of her mouth, then hold her mouth shut and rub her throat to get her to swallow the pill.

Works like once in every three tries.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  7. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

This is funny, I wonder if my Homer would like peanut butter. Isn't it unhealthy for dogs since it contains so much sugar? I hide the pills just in normal butter, he loves it, this way a pill-time is a treat-time for him:p

claudine, Sep 8, 2012
  8. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, I think for the small amount that you need to give a pill to your dog it wouldn't be harmful. I've never met a dog that could pass up peanut butter. If it was long term, I'd worry more about the amount of fat in what I was hiding the pill in since this could make them gain weight.

I'll I can say is thank goodness they are making more dog medication flavored. It really does make a difference. If you've ever fought a dog over taking a pill or have had a clever dog who can separate the pill from whatever is around it, you understand. :D

Melody, Sep 8, 2012
  9. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think quite a lot of the dog medication is also available in powder form. That makes it rather easy to get the dog to eat it. Just mix it with its favorite food. And you can announce mission accomplished.

Victor Leigh, Sep 10, 2012
  10. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol! I don't think that the sugar in peanut butter would somehow be worse for your dog than pure butter. :p It's really not much sugar in how much you would need to give him....and you can get PB without that much sugar, too.

Jessi, Sep 10, 2012
  11. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

You think so? Then maybe next time when he'll need to take a pill, I'll give him some peanut butter with it, I'm sure Homer will be happy:D

claudine, Sep 10, 2012
  12. Jessi

Nick87 Well-Known Member

Lol! I love frogman's comics, they're always hilarious and genius.
    I usually wrap the pills up in cheese, my dogs love cheese so much that they either don't notice or they don't care.

Nick87, Sep 28, 2012
  13. Jessi

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I love the look on the dogs face and the caption hey was that drugs. It so looks like this is what the dog was thinking. I do know that my brother would put pills inside of hot dogs when our dogs were prescribe them. This seem to work for the most part.

pafjlh, Sep 29, 2012
  14. Jessi

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

Haha rather funny! But it works though. We usually mix it in with our dogs' food.

pilot2fly, Sep 29, 2012
  15. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Here's another set of tips on how to give dogs pills:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Your-Dog-to-Swallow-a-Pill

The last one is really uncomfortable for me to watch. That dog probably doesn't mind too much or is used to it, but I would hate to have to hold a dog's mouth shut like that.

Jessi, Mar 4, 2013
Ask a Question