How to care for a blind dog

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-a-Dog-Blind-from-Birth

This is specifically for a dog who was born blind and needs to be trained and cared for without ever having sight at all.

It's actually pretty informative and bought up some things I wouldn't have thought about. For example, for house training, you do it exactly the same way because puppies rely on feel and smell anyway since their eyesight isn't that great until later!

Jessi, Apr 23, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  2. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

A close friend of mine had adopted a blind dog before and whenever I am in their house, that blind dog seems to be just a normal dog as she can easily sense if someone new is there. And as I could observe, she is even more friendly than those dogs that are not blind since she seems to trust people around her and I think it is because she was well taken cared of.

zararina, Apr 24, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's the same with dogs as blind people. Their other senses are heightened even more. Seeing dogs rely heavily on their sense of smell and taste, so take away the sight and I bet a blind dog can hear and sense things even better.

Jessi, Apr 24, 2012
  4. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have never had a blind dog before but my friend has one. It's a very old Shih Tzu mix. It cannot see properly anymore. However it could still go out to do its business and come back without getting lost. I think it's a combination of smell and memory.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
Ask a Question