How often do you take your dog for a walk?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hello fellow dog lovers! So do you think your dog is getting enough exercise everyday? The exercise needs of each dog varies a lot, depending on the size and breed of the dog. I own a pug and a standard schnauzer, the schnauzer likes to exercise EVERYDAY.

The pug is happy with walking just twice a week! I try to please them both by taking the schnauzer for a walk 6 or 5 days a week. She likes long walks, so we walk together for at least 30 to 45 minutes. I take the pug out during the evening, sometimes the schnauzer joins, but she knows this time the walk will be a short one.

What about you, how often do you take your dogs for a walk?

Trellum, Oct 10, 2013
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Your pug's laziness is really adorable:D
    Unfortunately, my Homer loves walking. We have to walk him four times per day. He always wants to go with my father though, so luckily, usually I can stay at home:p

claudine, Oct 10, 2013
  3. Trellum

Yay! I read in another thread your homer really likes your dad to walk him as well, so I think you're really lucky you can stay at home. This behaviour doesn't surprise me so much, mostly because your homer is a terrier :p Terrier are usually like that; they like activity. Some of the bravest and most active dogs ever are small terriers.

Trellum, Oct 13, 2013
  4. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

We used to have a dog that really enjoys being outside so, walking is daily.
    But our recent dog that used to be a stray puppy when we get him does not want to be outside of the compound. So, he will just walk and run around the compound.

zararina, Oct 13, 2013
  5. Trellum

Oh yes, he is very active, sometimes maybe too active:p And he is brave. Whenever he is scared of something, he doesn't run away, he stays and barks as loudly as he can;)
    I read somewhere that Yorkshire Terriers were bred to kill rats. So it's not in their nature to be lazy or shy.

claudine, Oct 17, 2013
  6. Trellum

Yeah, most terriers were bred to do that, some were bred for other functions.. like for example fighting bulls! No kidding, actually the ancestors of the bull terrier (if I'm not mistaken, could be the bull dogs as well) were bred for that purpose! The rest of the terriers were bred for hunting or killing rats, and that's why they're so brave and active :p Plus they're not good pets to have around if you have other small pets (terriers have strong hunting instincts).

Trellum, Oct 17, 2013
  7. Trellum

I had no idea that some terriers were bred for fighting bulls! Wow! This is really weird. But I believe that it's true. Terriers in general are very courageous and well, they enjoy fighting. It's often a problem, because Homer attacks every animal that dares to visit our garden.

claudine, Oct 17, 2013
  8. Trellum

Here is the link to the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_Terrier

And the bit of info about the use they used to give to this breed back in the past:

Trellum, Oct 20, 2013
    claudine likes this.
  9. Trellum

Thank you for sharing the article, it's so interesting!
    I had no idea that in the past some dogs were forced to fight bulls and bears, it sounds extremely cruel:( I don't understand why people enjoyed watching it:(

claudine, Oct 23, 2013
  10. Trellum

trishgl Well-Known Member

I take my chow out for a walk everyday. If I am unable to do that my son or husband takes her for a 20 to 30 min walk in the morning. We also let her play in the garden 2 to 3 times a day. Chacha likes to go out every couple of hours. I guess its also because there are 2 other dogs in the garden that belong to my sister that she likes to socialize with.

trishgl, Oct 23, 2013
Ask a Question