How often do you bath your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I only bath mine when I think they need it, sometimes it might once a week sometimes it might be longer than that. I read somewhere that you shouldn't bath your dogs very often. Something about it taking away the natural oils in the coat or something and it could result in your dogs having dry skin. Does anyone know if this is true?

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

nhal New Member

almost everyday. everytime he felt anxiety i take him to bath

nhal, Jan 27, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not know if that was true about dogs should not have a bath often.
    But I also do not often give a bath to our dog. It could be once a week too or twice a week depends if there would be someone available to give him a bath.

zararina, Jan 28, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

shem Member

My dog is a Labrador. Short haired dogs such as Labs, Pugs, and Beagles, do not need regular bathing. These dogs do shed a lot and particularly in the spring it might be a good idea to bathe them. Scrubbing in a circular motion will release and remove any loose hairs. :D

shem, Jan 29, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy, if given a choice, would rather not bath at all. It's quite strange, actually, because Candy likes water. She can sit in the tub of water the whole day long but bath-time is a big no-no.

Victor Leigh, Feb 3, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

luvmykids0114 New Member

During the summer we try to bathe them at least once a week because of heat and fleas. We like to keep them in as much as possible so keeping them clean is a big deal. During the winter at least every other week and no less than once a month. Just like us i assume that they feel so much better after being cleaned. My dogs seem so happy after they get dry.

luvmykids0114, Mar 19, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very rarely actually. He'll get wiped down sometimes, but he's mostly indoors and doesn't seem to get very dirty. In the summertime, we'll bathe him a little more frequently because he spends more time outdoors and it also makes it easier to just put him in a kid's pool and bathe him outside instead of in an actual bathtub.

Jessi, Mar 24, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

rachallen Member

I also heard that you should bath your dog too often. We usually wash our long haired dog about twice a month. We also have a short haired dog (a bulldog) and we bath him about once a month. He likes to roll in mud if it rains in our backyard (I swear he is really a pig). When he does this, we have to bath him again. We bath our big bully outside and our small shih tzo in our bathtub.

rachallen, Mar 25, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

It depends on the dog and the reason for the bath. If my dogs are being shown, they get baths every other day. Otherwise they get baths before they go out for lessons or just when they are dirty. If they are getting frequent baths, then they also get conditioner on their coats when they are bathed.

LoupGarouTFTs, Mar 26, 2012
Ask a Question