How many times a day do you feed your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Jan 12, 2012.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

We give our dogs table foods like rice meals for lunch and dinner. And we would give some bread or small amount of whatever we could give when we eat breakfast and snacks.

How many times a day do you feed your dog/dogs?
    Is there a right times a day a dog should be fed?

zararina, Jan 12, 2012
  2. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

Normally, they would eat twice a day, morning and night. But it also depends because often we would feed them after we eat because you’ll see them waiting for some meal and none of us have the heart to let them expect for a treat whenever we share a feast and they would get nothing.

King Browny, Jan 13, 2012
  3. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

It was right that it was hard not to give some food with their cute faces waiting even for small piece. Dog knows how to be irresistible or knows how to get what they want. Lol

zararina, Jan 13, 2012
  4. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs eat twice a day, breakfast and dinner. If we try to feed them just once per day, they get too hungry later.

Nick87, Jan 14, 2012
  5. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Where feeding times are concerned, Candy is very easy. She needs only to be fed once a day. Maybe that's how she keeps her figure.

Victor Leigh, Jan 14, 2012
  6. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

I guess this only works for small dogs?

King Browny, Jan 15, 2012
  7. zararina

No, Candy is a medium-sized dog. It's just that she is a finicky eater. Just once a day is enough to satisfy her curiosity about food.

Victor Leigh, Jan 15, 2012
  8. zararina

SallyintheValley Well-Known Member

My daughters 3 dogs get fed once a day....I have to divide the food up into 3 bowls and put them in 3 different areas.....and watch that the fastest eater doesn't invade the others bowls too. They are very territorial and growl at each other....so different than my cats who share everything amicably.

SallyintheValley, Jan 26, 2012
  9. zararina

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I feed my smaller dogs, Bitsy and Isabelle once a day. Babygirl and Petunia I feed twice a day. BJ has food available at all times. At bedtime they all get treats for a bedtime snack.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 26, 2012
  10. zararina

In that case, your cats are quite unusual. I mean as compared to mine. My cats must all eat from different bowls. Same with my dogs. And if it's a treat, the senior dog has to be fed first.

Victor Leigh, Feb 2, 2012
  11. zararina

claudine Well-Known Member

I feed Homer four times a day, he gets some of his food after every walk. This way, he is never really hungry. I make sure that he doesn't eat too much though, I don't want him to be overweight.
    Between meals, I give him vegetables.

claudine, Sep 14, 2013
  12. zararina

trishgl Well-Known Member

Our vet advised us to feed our chow only twice a day. He also gave us a specific amount to give our pet at every meal. I'm very cautious about over feeding our dog since chows are prone to hip dysplasia and being overweight increases her chances of developing the condition.

trishgl, Sep 15, 2013
  13. zararina

Our vet gave us a specific amount to give Homer at every meal too. Every day, I divide it into a few smaller meals. This way Homer doesn't beg for food so often. For us, it's just more convenient.

claudine, Sep 24, 2013
  14. zararina

Trellum Well-Known Member

When my dogs were puppies I liked to feed them 3 times a day, but now they are ok eating just once a day. That's more than enough, I think. I usually feed them, the food stays there for a bit and then they eat when they feel like eating it. It's very funny they sometimes remind me when I forget to feed them or when the bowl is empty :D They remind me that by barking almost non stop!

Trellum, Oct 10, 2013
  15. zararina

firelily99 Well-Known Member

My dog gets fed twice a day an isn't allowed snacks or junk food in between. I fed him once a day for awhile but he seems to do better when he gets his food twice.

firelily99, Dec 13, 2013
  16. zararina

I think most people feed their dogs only twice a day. It sounds reasonable. I couldn't do this to Homer though. He seems to always be hungry and it's clear that he prefers to get smaller portions more often. He has never been overweight, so I guess it's a good method.

claudine, Dec 16, 2013
  17. zararina

firelily99 Well-Known Member

For a long time I fed him only once a day but switched when he was on a medication that required a full stomach. He seems to like eating twice a day and frankly I think its better for him to be fed that way.

firelily99, Feb 24, 2014
Ask a Question