How long will your Dog Live?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Jun 20, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

The length of a dog's life is something I have considered with my own dog Mishka. I look at her sleeping sweetly on her couch and wonder what is to come of her in say 5 to 7 years. She is 8 now and it's hard to think of our happy home without her. Does anyone ever consider the passing of the beautiful loving friend?
    Here is a list of dogs that have had a long life. Breed I think does not have much of a bearing on it. A study was done with the Australian Blue Heeler.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_oldest_dogs

argon_0, Jun 20, 2012
  2. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

I think that there is a general standard that small dogs live longer than large dogs. But, there are exceptions. Sierra was a Lab/Golden mix. She was large for a female of either breed at 75 lbs. She started showing signs of age at 8. Got cancer at 10. She lived a good life to two months short of her 14th birthday.

Wow! There are dogs on that list that lived 29 years. That's pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Melody, Jun 20, 2012
  3. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

The oldest dog I had so far is Lazzie, she dies last year at the age of 12. She is an aspin which is a local breed dog here.
    Yes, hard to see and think they will left us as we want to be with them the longest time possible.

zararina, Jun 20, 2012
  4. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

I believe the name of that dog who lived for 29 years was Bluey.

The oldest dog I've ever had was Apple. She lived to be 15 and that's quite a long time given that her living conditions weren't the best. She was chained because my mom didn't allow her to be set free as one time someone poured hot water in her back for scavenging through their garbage. Since then, my mom won't allow her out of our sight. I wanted to set her free but during that time, I had no say in the household because I was still very young.

Apple was a feisty little dog and she was also what zararina calls an aspin. That means Philippine dog.;)

haopee, Jun 20, 2012
  5. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

Our current dog is 14. :)

He still acts like a puppy and while he did have some health issues a few years back because of his weight, he has a much healthier diet now and doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon. I have no idea when he'll pass, but I can't imagine it being soon.

Jessi, Jun 21, 2012
  6. argon_0

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I hope Capone will stay with us for as long as he is healthy. I don't like to see him in pain when he gets too old.

IcyBC, Aug 2, 2015
  7. argon_0

GrantSC6 New Member

I don't think anyone can say how long any being will live, but I hope my dog lives a long happy life. Just over a year ago my poor puppy was hit by a car after he escape from our yard. Gratefully after just one week of being at the pet hospital he was seemingly back to normal. During that week I was going through so many emotions because I thought I was going to have to put my dog down but he lived through it so now I cherish every single moment with him. I have a 3 year old black lab and I pray he lives for however long god wants to bless me with his presence. May it be another 3, 10, 15 I just so thankful to have my puppy alive and well. I like to keep him active throughout the week, he's on a wellness plan, take monthly preventative meds so hopefully as long as possible.

GrantSC6, Aug 2, 2015
  8. argon_0

mak73 Member

I've had a lot of dogs and I would say on average they lived to be 10 yrs old. Some of our dogs though had health issues. We had a german shepherd who suffered from seizures and was on medication. He passed away while having one. We had a cocker spaniel (who was a stray and we have no idea how old she was, though she had some white under her chin) just collapsed one day. She was a healthy, active dog. We also had a lab/rotty who less than a month from turning 9, died from cancer. We really had no warning. Every so often she would have a little trouble getting up after laying down from awhile. At first, the vet said she had arthritis. Turned out she had cancer in the hip.

mak73, Aug 3, 2015
  9. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer is a Yorkshire Terrier and most Yorkshire Terriers live really long lives. It's one of many reasons why I love this breed.
    The world without Homer would be a very sad place:( To be honest, I hope he'll never die.

claudine, Aug 3, 2015
  10. argon_0

Winterybella Well-Known Member

This is not my favourite subject and recently I have been having a really difficult time keeping my mind off of death. I am really worried about it. I often wonder about my girls and if anything had to happen to them how I would cope. With Twinkle my cat I almost died I tell you no lie. I just don't want to go through that again.

In my world we would all live forever.

Winterybella, Aug 16, 2015
  11. argon_0

Skyler New Member

My dog is 12 now, and has been having a lot of health problems..I am worried about him. He is my first dog, so I have not had to cope with the death of a pet yet and I really don't like thinking about it. That is completely amazing how long some of the dogs in that article have lived though! I wonder if a certain diet or other factors have anything to do with it?

Skyler, Aug 17, 2015
  12. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

Hello, Skyler:) It's very nice to meet you! What breed is your dog? Most small dogs live really long lives. My friend told me about a Yorkshire Terrier who is 21!:D Isn't it amazing? I hope our dogs will get to this age too.

claudine, Aug 27, 2015
  13. argon_0

Tomi Active Member

The passing of a dog is much like losing a human friend (or fam). I hate to think that about Wham as I do my friends and relatives.

Tomi, Aug 30, 2015
Ask a Question