How Homer saved our lives

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Oct 6, 2014.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

I've always been very grateful for having Homer in my life, but now I appreciate him even more. A few days ago, in the evening, he started barking. We didn't know what made him so angry. He barked and barked and didn't want to calm down, so my father went downstairs to see if everything is alright (we were sitting on the second floor) When he got there, he heard sounds coming from the basement. It was a gas leak detector alarm!
    If Homer didn't hear it and didn't start barking, our house would explode:eek:

claudine, Oct 6, 2014
  2. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow, Claudine! That was close! I bet you and your family now appreciate Homer even more than you did before :O Your little dog is a really brave one :) I have heard similar cases, it seems dogs have a really sharp instinct we obviously don't!

Trellum, Oct 6, 2014
  3. claudine

We appreciate him very much:D To be honest, I don't think I would feel safe if I lived in a house without any dogs. Their hearing is better than that of humans. Homer always knows when something is wrong and he can warn us.

claudine, Oct 7, 2014
  4. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I've always told my mom...''Don't hesitate to get another dog once your dog dies!''. She says she doesn't want to get more dogs after this one, but I've told her she'd be safer if she does, because there is nothing like knowing there is a dog at home and you are not completely alone.

Trellum, Oct 22, 2014
  5. claudine

Does your mother live alone? If she does, she definitely should get a dog. It's the best protection from burglars:) Not to mention that dogs are wonderful companions. It's nice to have them around:)
    However, when my aunt's dog died, she didn't get another one. I think the loss was too painful for her.

claudine, Nov 10, 2014
  6. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Homer did great. My little ones or my big one never had to do anything that hurculean for me but those little ones are simply amazing. They are really to die for.

Many, many years ago when I was not too keen about dogs having had a bad experience, I saw a piece that impressed and left me confused.

There was a man who had lost one leg to save his dog. When asked about it, he said he would do it all over again. That always stayed with me. Dogs are just amazing.

Winterybella, Nov 10, 2014
    claudine likes this.
  7. claudine

This is a beautiful story, Winterybella. That man must have loved his dog very, very much. There was a time when I didn't understand dog owners. I didn't like animals. Now, I'm a completely different person, I have Homer. I know I'd do anything to save him. He is my family:)

claudine, Nov 11, 2014
  8. claudine

maryannballeras Member

Dogs are really saviors in their own way. They know if something is not right. That's one thing I like about dogs. Their heart is just so pure and sometimes, it seems that they love their owners more than they love themselves. Send my hugs over to Homer!

maryannballeras, Nov 11, 2014
  9. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I was very young when I saw the picture but I could never get it out of my head. I knew then that these animals had to be very very special.

I would only come to appreciate just how truly special they were on a personal level when my son brought one home and she joined me in the house. The rest is history. We are one big happy family:).

These days I tell people "never say never" when it comes to owning a pet.

Winterybella, Nov 11, 2014
  10. claudine

Maryannballeras - I completely agree. Dogs love their owners more than anything in this world:)
    Winterybella - it's very true. You don't know what it feels like to be a dog owner until you become one. I can honestly say that Homer changed me and my life.

claudine, Nov 20, 2014
Ask a Question