How far can a dog really swim?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dashboardc33, Aug 12, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

My husband likes to canoe. I have a hyperactive golden doodle that never seems to get tired. My husband will take his canoe out on the big lakes and let her follow him all over the place. I always get nervous because I think that she will get tired and will drown. He keeps assuring me that if she was tired she would turn around and go back. Well, what if it gets to the point where she can't even make it back because he is so far out there? My dog usually barks when she swims because she wants to catch up to us. When she stops barking and just continues to swim for us, I get nervous because I think she is getting too tired. What do you think? How long is too long for a dog to be off of land for?

He probably has her going for a good 15 minutes before she takes a break. Do you think this is cutting it too close?

dashboardc33, Aug 12, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

s120450 Member

Your husband is right, but if your concerned you could always buy your dog a doggie lifejacket. About how long can your dog run around on land? A long time? Considering it's a golden retriever mix it can swim for a long time too. This breed is happy on land and water, and can do about the same amount of work in each element, although it will be a little bit less for swimming because its a little more work than just running. Your husband said if your dog is tired then it will turn around and go back? Does your dog always go back to lay down in the same spot after it's tired from running? If this is true then your husband is right about your dog swimming back if it's tired. When it comes down to it, your judgement is best and you should do what you feel is best for your dog.
    Have fun!

s120450, Aug 12, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Pocs Well-Known Member

When in the water playing and swimming my boys always seek a shade tree to run to and rest up when they are tired. I also agee with your husband. I think a doggie lifejacket would be a good idea to ease your mind as also suggested. In my opinion dogs will rest when needed. They usually don't push themselves to the brink of exhaustion.

Pocs, Aug 13, 2012
Ask a Question