How do you react when random strangers want to pet your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Jun 26, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I was playing in the park with Homer and an old lady came to us. She wanted to pet my little dog. I'm fully aware that he looks very cute and innocent, but the truth is that it's very easy to annoy him. And when he is annoyed, he bites. So I was really afraid that he may harm the woman. I warned her but she still wanted to stroke him:eek: Homer started growling at her.
    Fortunately, after a couple of minutes, she left us alone.
    Does it annoy you when random strangers try to pet your dog? How do you react?

claudine, Jun 26, 2013
  2. claudine

haopee Well-Known Member

I think it's okay provided they tell you beforehand. It's an important that strangers and dog lovers (who don't own dogs) should be aware of this fact.

The reason why I say that it's okay is because they have to be warned beforehand. Moreover, it gives them that vital information that "my dog doesn't like getting pet" in the most gentle way.

As a dog owner, I've always assessed my dog's mood when it comes to strangers.Fortunately, our dogs have been introduced to different scents and sounds (even annoying children) that they seem fine with strangers petting them.

I'm glad the lady didn't pet Homer.

haopee, Jun 26, 2013
  3. claudine

Jezebella Member

For me it really depends on the temperment of the dog. I never like it when someone tries to pet them without asking, but if they ask and it's an easygoing dog then I have no problem with it. I am a nanny to a four-year-old and two-year-old, and we are working to overcome what used to be a serious dog phobia with the four-year-old. We started going to the senior dog rescue place, that is right near the SPCA where I volunteer. Senior dogs are less likely to jump on the four-year-old and scare him and the two-year-old can get the petting out of his system without bothering dog owners. Sometimes when they see a really cute dog though they really want to pet it. I generally don't let them bother the owners, but a few have overheard and assured me that their dogs like children and don't bite or jump. I let them pet those.

Jezebella, Jun 26, 2013
  4. claudine

Thank you for your responses. In our case, the biggest problem is that my Homer is unpredictable and sometimes he seems cheerful and friendly and then he bites without any warning. He always bites delicately, without leaving any marks on the skin, but I still wouldn't like him to bite a stranger. This is why I'm always very nervous when somebody wants to pet him and I warn everybody.

claudine, Jun 27, 2013
  5. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

I actually feel good when someone would show interest in petting my dog since I am also such kind of person. :p
    Although if I know that it will not be safe for the stranger, I would not allow it no matter what, Better safe than sorry. :D

zararina, Jul 2, 2013
  6. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

Fortunately I've never met a random stranger who tried to pet my dog without my go ahead first. I suppose its because Chacha is not as small as Homer so people are a bit more wary of touching her. I am also lucky that while growing up my dog was exposed to a lot of people so she is very sociable. She never nips or bites strangers and is quite calm whenever a person comes near her.

trishgl, Jul 3, 2013
  7. claudine

I wish I could say the same about Homer, but unfortunately he isn't sociable at all.
    It annoys me that so many people underestimate little dogs, they tend to treat them like cute, harmless toys. But even though Homer can't seriously hurt anyone, he still can bite pretty hard, so strangers really should keep distance until he accepts them.

claudine, Jul 3, 2013
  8. claudine

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

No one has ever expressed interest in my dog, except to say that he's cute and move on. I think that's because they see him pulling at the leash and trying to walk me.
    My relative who owned the dog before kept him in the yard as a guard dog so he is not used to going out on walks, so when I walk him ,he can be a handful.
    People probably see me being pulled by a 10 pound dog and they don't want to pet him.

ACSAPA, Jul 3, 2013
  9. claudine

With Homer it's different - during every walk we meet at least one person who wants to pet him. I noticed that almost everybody likes Yorkies...I guess it's because they look like puppies and they're so tiny and adorable. Unfortunately, people seem to forget that they're real dogs and they can bite.

claudine, Jul 5, 2013
  10. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

This will not happen for Capone just yet! Usually, people are afraid of him since he looks a bit like a Pitbul and he growls when someone comes too close. He is fine with my son's friends and very nice to them after they have met though.

IcyBC, Aug 13, 2015
  11. claudine

I wish people were afraid of Homer. Every time we go for a walk, someone wants to pet him. Children are the worst, they can't understand he's not a pet:confused:

claudine, Aug 13, 2015
  12. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

It doesn't bother me at all if it's a friendly stroke. I actually think my son likes to move with the dogs sometimes. It attracts girls I hear. The only time I have an issue is when it's a small child with playful intentions and the dog is not about that play which it doesn't know is play. I am kinda of worried people don't really take my dog's barking seriously.

Winterybella, Aug 13, 2015
  13. claudine

Skyler New Member

I have to warn them against it- my dog is old so sometimes cranky, and temperamental as well as unpredictable. Sometimes he's fine with people petting him, sometimes not, so to be safe I do not allow people to pet him, and it annoys me when people assume that it's okay/that he's friendly. Always a good idea to ask first!

Skyler, Aug 14, 2015
  14. claudine

Haha, I bet it attracts girls. Men too. Every time I walk Homer, random men talk to us:confused: Yesterday, one of them told Homer: "oh, you're such a cute little thing, your owner seems really nice too". And he kept talking. I think I'd like it more if I was single;) But I'm not and I really don't want to make new friends when I'm walking. I just want to relax.

claudine, Aug 27, 2015
  15. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't mind it at all. Both me and my fdida are very friendly most of the time. I think it's OK someone wants to pet her, asong as they ask first. I'd not let strangers touch my baby though.

Trellum, Aug 31, 2015
  16. claudine

tajnz Well-Known Member

If someone just walks up to my dog, doesn't acknowledge me or give me a look to see if it's okay, I might be a little worried. It depends on the circumstance. If someone asks though, I have no issues.

tajnz, Sep 11, 2015
  17. claudine

morgoodie Member

I do not have a problem with strangers petting my dogs. I let them know that they get hyper and little bit excited because they are not around new people a lot. Both of my dogs love to be pet so they are usually fine with and do not snap at people. I think I would have a hard time saying no that they should not be pet by someone. I would feel rude for not letting them.

morgoodie, Mar 6, 2016
  18. claudine

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When at home, it is almost impossible for our house guests to pet our dogs simply because they cannot enter our house. The dogs would be barking incessantly and I'm afraid they (our dogs) would bite. We place our dogs inside the bedroom when there are expected house guests. But when we are outside like in the mall or park, the handlers of our dogs (me or my husband or our housemaid) are on the lookout for strangers. It is foolish to pet our dog for they would bite.

Corzhens, Mar 6, 2016
  19. claudine

Johanna Well-Known Member

Everyone goes crazy! On my baby lol!!! He's loved around town

Johanna, Mar 28, 2016
  20. claudine

Djordje87 Active Member

I have a charming golden retriever so it is quite normal for us. Usually kids like to pet him but I am always happy to stop and give them the pleasure of his joy. I am even more glad to do this when some beautiful girls stop to pet him. Anyway, he likes it, I like it and of course random strangers like it because if they didn't they wouldn't stop to pet my dog.

Djordje87, Mar 31, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
Ask a Question