How do you keep your dog cool in hot weather?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by joycemcgregor, Jun 22, 2015.

1. joycemcgregor

Winterybella Well-Known Member

That's interesting. I'll have to check that out. I am especially concern for my bigger dog who spends most of her time outdoors. I get her inside pretty often these days but the sun is scorching sometimes when she is outside. Of course she has her house outside but I am starting to think she likes inside better. At the very least I think she wants to come and go as she pleases.

Winterybella, Mar 31, 2016
  2. joycemcgregor

claudine Well-Known Member

I'll check that out too. Do cooling mats make any noise? How do they work? I don't want to buy something that could scare Homer. He doesn't like weird noises.

claudine, Mar 31, 2016
  3. joycemcgregor

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Now that it's summer, we are on the lookout for the well-being of our dogs regarding the heat. Whenever any of our 3 dogs would start to pant, the air conditioner should be turned on. For 24 hours, the electric fan is running to cool our dogs. But at around 9am to 10am, the room temperature reaches 30 deg C and that is already the threshhold, meaning our dogs need the air conditioner. And not to brag, we had installed an air conditioner in the living room for the benefit of our dogs.

Corzhens, Mar 31, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  4. joycemcgregor

Djordje87 Active Member

I have a retriever and they do not like hot weather. His double coat thing an long fur do not help at all. Today, for example, it is warmer than it should be. It is only the beginning of spring and it is almost 30 degrees Celsius. I cool him down with water. Some quick showers do miracles to him and his temperature. I look at him now and he is almost out of breath. I also cut his fur with those trimming scissors and he seems to appreciate it.

Djordje87, Mar 31, 2016
    spence88 likes this.
  5. joycemcgregor

spence88 Member

Do dogs have a high risk of getting a stroke or something during hot weather? Seems everyone else has some special precautionary measures just in case. I feel bad that I just give my dog a fan of his own to cool him down.

Yeah, Goldens love water. Rafa stops his panting for quite a while everytime we give him a bath. It's a good way to cool them down during hot weather.
    I actually wasn't aware before that dogs do not have sweat glands, so they sweat through panting. Good thing I noticed that with Rafa early on.
    We brush Rafa's hair every once in a while, but we don't cut it. We like it long :)

spence88, Apr 13, 2016
  6. joycemcgregor

Recently it has been terribly hot and even when I let my girls out to the bathroom they are just eager to return to the house. I guess that one way I deal with it is having them be indoors most of the time. I have noticed that one or all of them love the fan. Recently I felt so bad for my bigger dog who spends most of the time outdoors, I allowed her indoors and she seemed so happy and relieved to be inside.

Winterybella, Apr 26, 2016
  7. joycemcgregor

remnant Well-Known Member

It would be a good idea to provide the dog food under the shade of a tree so that it can rest its bones there after having a meal. Another method is to take it to nearby streams. I have found that dogs like to swim especially when they experience discomfort as a result of itching from ectoparasite activity. A big bowl of water near its kennel would also do wonders if you encourage him to swim. In you have a small fan, you can connect it to the dog's kennel to cool the air. Another method is to to connect two wind driven turbines, one on the outside and one on the inside to rotate and cool the dog's kennel by circulating a gentle cool breeze.

remnant, Jun 9, 2016
  8. joycemcgregor

Alpha1 Active Member

Alpha1, Jun 13, 2016
    Becky likes this.
  9. joycemcgregor

Becky Well-Known Member

Becky, Jun 14, 2016
  10. joycemcgregor

cluckeyo Active Member

Valentine is a small, short-hair dog. That helps a lot and she seems to like warm temps. It can get too hot though, sometimes if needed, I give here a rinse off in the sink. That alwys perks her up. We run the AC and fans in the house. so for the most part, she is comfortable. It's very important to keep fresh water out at all times, expecially in summer.

cluckeyo, Jun 16, 2016
  11. joycemcgregor

I noticed that someone spoke of taking them to a nearby stream. I have such lovely beaches I should consider doing that. The only thing is that last time I took my dogs to the beach I was told by security they were not allowed on the beach. Of course I have seen many on the beach since then.

Winterybella, Jun 16, 2016
  12. joycemcgregor

GLow Glow New Member

My mother turn on the air conditioner just for her dog ;(.

GLow Glow, Jun 24, 2016
  13. joycemcgregor

nytegeek Active Member

We have A/C in the house. We make sure he always has plenty of water. We hose him down when he is outside sometimes and he loves it. We take him to lakes and rivers to play in the water with us.

nytegeek, Jun 30, 2016
  14. joycemcgregor

amelia88 Well-Known Member

This is a timely thread as it's really getting hot here now.

Our dog is primarily indoors - he only really goes out to do his business or for walks. When it's super hot, we only walk him first thing in the morning and once the sun has gone down. I always tell myself that if the pavement is too hot for me to walk on it barefoot, then it's too hot for Jojo, too!

We always keep the A/C on too, so the house is never particularly hot. And I'll also put ice in his water dish - he just seems to enjoy that! :)

amelia88, Jul 8, 2016
  15. joycemcgregor

nytegeek Active Member

Yeah, don't ever walk a dog on pavement in the heat. That is just cruel. They don't wear shoes, so the pavement would feel like it is burning the dog's feet. Also most pavement, like asphalt or concrete, reflects the heat making the areas abovite even hotter than areas over grass and other types of terrain.

nytegeek, Jul 8, 2016
  16. joycemcgregor

mkhtk79 Member

After a run or walk on warm day we'll use the hose to cool our dogs down when we get back. We let the cool water run along thier backs for few minutes and then on thier chests, it seems to really do the trick. Although then you have to deal with 2 wet dogs. We also have a kiddie pool we let the dogs lie in and play around in on really hot days. They love it, especially if your throw a bag of ice in there.

mkhtk79, Jan 22, 2019
  17. joycemcgregor

Jacksgirl New Member

We began putting ice cubes in our German Shepard water and she starting slapping her bowl if the ice cubes were gone. Lol

Jacksgirl, Mar 22, 2020
  18. joycemcgregor

mkhtk79 Member

Ice cubes are a great idea too. We also have plastic bottle that we fill up with water and refrigerate thats just for the dogs. That way whenever we refill their bowls we alway have cold water ready to go which also helps the ice cubes to last longer. Although thinking about purchasing cooling pads for them this summer, but don't know anything about them yet.

mkhtk79, Mar 29, 2020
  19. joycemcgregor

ADILHUSSAIN084 Active Member

To keep your dog cool in hot weather, provide shade, access to water, and avoid strenuous exercise during the hottest parts of the day. You can also use cooling mats, provide frozen treats, and avoid leaving your dog in a parked car, which can become dangerously hot.

ADILHUSSAIN084, Oct 21, 2023
Ask a Question