How Do You Choose Your Pet?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Mystique, May 21, 2012.

1. Mystique

Mystique Active Member

People often say that when you want to get a dog, you just go to an animal shelter or a pet shop, and you'll know which one would suit you the best... or something to that extent.

My MIL loves animals. She has Snippy, Wobbles, Silly Sally, Kia, Sylvie, and Tiki, so that makes it six dogs, and six cats - Tigger, Katerina, Shiloh, Turkish Delight (don't ask :D), Blake, and Houston. I'm amazed that I can actually remember their names!

She works with the animal shelter and she also told me that most people that come over to choose a dog would normally walk around the holding and just wait for a puppy or a dog to give them the signal. At times, she said the potential owners already know what they are looking for so they would just ask if the type of dog they wanted was available.

So, how did you choose your puppy? Did you walk around the shop/shelter to wait for one of them to show interest or did you already know you wanted a certain breed?

Mystique, May 21, 2012
  2. Mystique

Melody Well-Known Member

I've never had to choose a dog. Either other family members brought them home or they were given to me. I tried to help my sister get a dog from the shelter once. I fell in love with every single one. I could have taken any of them home. When we left, I felt bad that she did not find what she wanted. She didn't really have a set breed but I guess she was looking for some sort of connection.

I would like to think that I'd have some idea of what type of behavior I would want in a dog. I know I'd want a small dog because my disabilities prevent me from giving a big dog all the exercise they need. However, I am too much of a sucker to not fall in love with them all and make a common sense decision. I would probably come home with the most pathetic looking mixed breed in the shelter.

Melody, May 21, 2012
  3. Mystique

zararina Well-Known Member

Our friends usually give puppies to us.
    I just experienced buying a dog once but it was not from a breeder. Just from a dog owner who wants to sell some of her dog's puppies. And had adopted a stray dog once too.

zararina, May 22, 2012
  4. Mystique

Ja'cobeC Member

I chose my dog because for the longest I have been wanting a yorkie. I have had other dogs before, but I have never felt that connection with that dog. It wasn't until I purchased my yorkie that I felt like "Yes, this is my dog!":D I think I choose them by what type of dog I like and how their breed's reputation is.

Ja'cobeC, May 25, 2012
Ask a Question