How do you acquire your dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by zararina, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Our latest dog was just adopted but we did not get him from the shelters. He was just abandoned by his original owner near in our house. The dog that used to be a puppy before, was barking on us when he see us giving food to our dogs and so, we are also giving him something to eat. Until we had observed that no one really owns him and he already looks dirty, we finally decided to have him as our pet. He get well along with our other dogs before.

zararina, Nov 29, 2011
    LoupGarouTFTs likes this.
  2. zararina

Shawn Active Member

I looked in the paper for lab mixed puppies that were free. I found an ad and went to the house, my dog was the runt and the scardest one there so I wanted him. It took him 5 hours of avoiding me (once we got home) because he didn't know me, then he came over and became my best friend and he still is today :)

Everytime I come home from work, he is waiting for me whining and howling, saying come on dad, come pet me :) He's my black buddy :D

Shawn, Nov 30, 2011
  3. zararina

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

I've bought my dogs, bred them, and adopted them. I've had purebreds and mixed breeds. All dogs are pretty cool, no matter how you get them. :)

LoupGarouTFTs, Nov 30, 2011
  4. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree with that, a lot! :p
    And lucky those in pet shelters or stray dogs to find a home with dog lover in the house.

zararina, Nov 30, 2011
  5. zararina

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I bought him from a lady who had some puppies for sale. He is the greatest dog I have ever had, love him so much!

wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
  6. zararina

King Browny Well-Known Member

My Shakira was given to me by a gay friend who was a neighbor. She was about 3 years old when she was given to me. What happened is that he needed to go someplace and he can’t bring his dog along. Luckily, I’m already a friend to Shakira since I would hug her every morning whenever I would see them taking a walk. In fact, I adopted one of her pups. And I would tell my friend that I really like his dog maybe that’s why in that case of emergency, he gave Shakira to me. And I just feel blessed. :D

King Browny, Dec 1, 2011
  7. zararina

MakingCents Well-Known Member

We got our dog from a shelter. He had been there a long time and had never been fostered. To me it is obvious that he is not used to living in a home. I will always adopt or rescue a pet but in the future I may look for dogs that have spent time in foster homes at the very least.

MakingCents, Dec 2, 2011
  8. zararina

BeachHut Active Member

That's so sweet of you and your family Zara, I'm sure your dog is thankful to have you as his new owner:)

Our oldest dog was given to us by a close friend five years ago. She was our first dog, and she was just two months old when we got her. 7 monhts ago she gave birth to three puppies, but one of them unfortunately passed away after three months. :( That's basically how I got my dogs, and I love them all. :D

BeachHut, Dec 2, 2011
  9. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

I'm glad that you adopted that dog who was neglected before, a lot of people wouldn't have done anything personally to help.
    Both my dogs were shelter dogs.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  10. zararina

classy_ally Member

I actually got Lola off of Craigslist. They were giving her away for free because they were never home enough. I am a disabled veteran so this was ideal for me. We are inseparable. She is a spoiled little brat at times.

classy_ally, Dec 20, 2011
  11. zararina

LoupGarouTFTs Well-Known Member

Congratulations on a successful Craigslist adoption--I know that it can be hard to get a dog there! How fortunate that you were an ideal match for one another. :D

LoupGarouTFTs, Dec 20, 2011
  12. zararina

summerRain Well-Known Member

I acquired my dog through my boyfriend. It's his birthday gift for me two years ago and I really love it!

summerRain, Dec 20, 2011
  13. zararina

classy_ally Member

Yes, I was very blessed to get my little baby. I have fattened her up and everything.

classy_ally, Dec 20, 2011
  14. zararina

amy005 Well-Known Member

My fiancees mother had a dachshund and she had a friend that had a bichon. They met one day and became a bit too friendly. Of course as you may have guessed they had babies and we adopted one. I was so happy to find out they were having babies because I love bichons and dachshunds. They made beautiful puppies!

amy005, Dec 20, 2011
  15. zararina

How can you tell that it's obvious that he is not used to living in a home? What was he like in your place? And how is he now?

King Browny, Dec 29, 2011
  16. zararina

He still has a hard time potty training, he doesn't like when someone comes to the door, he has sever seperation anxiety and the list goes on. He still seems uneasy all the time that some day this might all just go away. HE's gotten better but we've had him almost 2 years now. It's obvious that he wasn't socialized as a puppy.

MakingCents, Dec 30, 2011
  17. zararina

I see. Knowing that you and your family are there to support him is contributing to a big change in him. And however slow maybe the progress what's important is he’s adjusting and coping and yes, hopefully all of his troubles will go away in the near future. You inspire me to adopt a dog from a shelter, you know. I’m sure we’ll get more tips from you in taking good care of the dog from the shelter. :)

King Browny, Dec 30, 2011
  18. zararina

Adopting from a shelter is rewarding even with the setbacks. Sometimes when he's sleeping on me I just look down at his sweet face and think 'I am so glad I saved you my sweet boy.' I hate to think what woul dhave become of him if we hadn't adopted him.

MakingCents, Dec 31, 2011
Ask a Question