How did you picked your dog's name?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LaneAlf, Aug 2, 2016.

1. LaneAlf

LaneAlf Member

I think that one of the most important characteristic of a dog it's their name. When you're picking one you are involved in a world of infinite possibilities and not all of them seems to be perfect enough to be our baby's name. When it comes to me, my mom picked my dogs name based on his date of birth and looking at the names on the calendar, and it was just the perfect name for him.

What about you? How did you picked your dogs name?
    It was a hard or an easy process?

LaneAlf, Aug 2, 2016
  2. LaneAlf

amelia88 Well-Known Member

We called our dog Banjo after an Australian poet actually! But we also just thought the name was cute catchy and easy to say - which I think is important when it comes to pets names!

amelia88, Aug 2, 2016
  3. LaneAlf

GeeTee Member

I choose my dog's name based on his color. He's totally black and we named him Shadow. At nights, you'd never know that dog was around unless you were a member of the household or already knew we had him around.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
  4. LaneAlf

Pippin Member

I used an online word generator for 4 letter characters. I remember going online before I got my dogs and looking up random words because I didn't want to use any that I could come up with myself. I found "Espi", and "Sway", which I think are great random names.

Pippin, Aug 2, 2016
  5. LaneAlf

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I most certainly did. I named all four of them. I am the "namer" of the dogs. No one has ever rivaled me. Hence I am happily living with the Reba, Remy, Zola and Ginger.

Winterybella, Aug 3, 2016
  6. LaneAlf

That's really interesting! I like that they're so unique - I don't think I can say I've ever heard of other dogs with those names! Some dog names you hear over and over again (and it can be tough if you're at a dog park and all calling out the same or similar names!) so I'm sure you never have trouble with that!!

amelia88, Aug 3, 2016
    Pippin likes this.
  7. LaneAlf

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We had a total of 5 dogs. Our first dog was named Jedi because the Star Wars commercial was playing on the car's radio when my husband got the puppy from his sister's house. Our second dog was a sickly pekingese that we thought was epileptic so we named him Epoy. Our third dog is a white puppy we named Tisoy which means mestizo or a person with fair complexion. Our 4th dog is Pipoy, a brown pug who looked like the comedian with that name. And our 5th dog is Barbie which was named by the owner, our vet who gave her to us. The vet's mother dog had 2 female puppies she named Bambi and Barbie.

Corzhens, Aug 3, 2016
  8. LaneAlf

Pippin Member

Yeah I don't I didn't think it about it like that either, I never have problems like that. I believe in uniqueness, even with people and their personal lives.

Lots of people will come up with the most common names they can think of, and you can find list like that on the internet easily. I read that Mohammed was one of the most commonly used names for people, I thought it was like Michael, David, Tom, or something.

Pippin, Aug 3, 2016
  9. LaneAlf

claudine Well-Known Member

We named Homer after the author of Iliad and Odyssey. It was an easy choice. I'm a filologist, and I have a lot of books. When I was thinking about dog names, I noticed Iliad on one of my shelves and I thought that Homer sounds great:p

claudine, Aug 10, 2016
  10. LaneAlf

Cheezy Member

My adult dog, a pug, is named Queenie. We named her such because she was so regal and walked with a sense of pride on the day that she was given to us. It took a few days before she listened and followed our instructions. She was such a beautiful pug with a fawn coat and she was treated like a queen being the youngest in the family.

Cheezy, Aug 10, 2016
  11. LaneAlf

I love that story behind it! My first thought when I hear Homer is Homer Simpson! :D

amelia88, Aug 10, 2016
  12. LaneAlf

cluckeyo Active Member

Valentine was given to me by a dear friend who has since passed away. He gave her to me on Valentine's day and so I thought it appropriate to name her "Valentine". And it fits her, because she is truly a sweetheart!!

cluckeyo, Aug 10, 2016
Ask a Question