How did you get your dog to go outside to relieve itself?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by JoshPosh, Nov 11, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

Layton Member

Wow I am impressed it was so easy for you to train your dog. My Anastasia will not go outside. For some reason she believes it is acceptable to go inside. I have tried to potty train her. I would stand hours and hours outside waiting for her to go, but all she does is gnaw on her leash. She will immediately come back inside and just squat and do her business. I personally believe she knows it is wrong, but does it anways. Do you guys have amy suggestions on how I could train her?

Layton, Nov 8, 2015
  2. JoshPosh

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When our dogs arrived, we used the old newspaper trick in training them for proper toilet habits. We place the new dog on the newspaper that is spread on the floor. Most likely the dog will pee but if it did not, we would take the time to put the dog on the newspaper from time to time. When the dog is used to the newspaper, that's the time to bring the newspaper outside the house. The same training is given so the dog gets outside to look for the newspaper. In a week of 2, the dog would go outside to relieve himself regardless of whether there is newspaper or not.

Corzhens, Feb 9, 2016
Ask a Question