How did you get your dog/s?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Trellum, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

And I love spending time with my boyfriend:D He's very relaxed too.
    I'm nothing like him, lol. Dogs who don't know me often bark at me. I think they can sense when I'm scared.

claudine, Aug 6, 2015
  2. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

I'm nothing like my boyfriend as well, lol. He is much more relaxed than I ever will be, my mom was also a very nervous person all her life, so I ended up being the same, a little less nervous than her though, but still quite anxious :oops:

Trellum, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Trellum

@Winterybella Only surviving child? What happened to the others? Had you shared this story with us before or not? I think you did, but my memory is not so good! I think this is the first time you ever talk about how you got that elegant rottie :)

Trellum, Aug 6, 2015
  4. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

The elegant Rottie was from one of the big names in breeding in my country. You mention his name and even though he's a medical doctor he is known more for his love of dogs and breeding. That's Reba the Rottie in a nutshell.

So maybe I did not share the story about the two I lost and it's sad to be honest. It's sad and part of the reason I feel so strongly about breeding and why we should have our dogs fixed if we are not capable breeders.

So Remy came home and somewhere down the road someone (I believe it's my son) convinced me to take her to my brother for breeding. I feel sure my son spoke of carrying on the legacy. Silly me decided to go through with the idea and my brother did not discourage it. He's been breeding dogs for years but I am not sure I agree with it now I know more about dogs. So I take Remy to him and his pure Jack Russell gets my Remy pregnant. I have to be honest. I was pretty ignorant then and feel like I should have held Remy much closer but I allowed her to run and play outside with my bigger dog and I don't know if the play was too rough but she seemed fine during the pregnancy.

Then comes time for the babies to come and I am supposedly keeping a close eye on Remy expecting the pups anytime. All I remember doing was moving Remy over to my area as I thought my son was not keen enough. Next thing I know I hear this crying somewhere between sleep and wake. By the time I jump up I see my Remy running up and down and a pup half way out. It's early morning and I am petrified not knowing what to do. My son comes and manages to pull the poor thing out by which time it's dead. Oh my God. Just thinking about it make me sad now.

Anyway I rush to see what's going on with the other two. One seems fine but the other appears to be dead. Meanwhile Remy is licking and caring for them even as one appears dead. I soon discover the other is dead and the only one left alive is my Zola.

With tears I bury the two pups in my front yardaby and I watch as Remy mothers her baby who has been the Queen of this Castle. The end.

Winterybella, Aug 6, 2015
  5. Trellum

Oh, I am sorry I made you tell this story if it causes you so much sadness :( Something like this happened to us when I was younger, I was helping with the birth of my aunt's dog. It was the first time for her dog, so the dog dropped the puppies everywhere. Some didn't breathe, so I remembered what I read about rubbing their noses to stimulate them to breathe... just like their mom lick them in that area to do the same. It worked, we still lost 2 of them :( This kind of things can't be avoided sometimes.

Trellum, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Trellum

mak73 Member

We adopted one from our local humane society about 15 yrs ago. The rest we took when friends/relatives couldn't keep them anymore. One was a stray. Our latest dog, was from a friend of a friend who just didn't have time for her anymore. I was a little hesitant because she's a pit.The family who we got her from also had other dogs but there were kept in kennels in the house. I am so glad we got her. She was skittish for a couple of days but she has been great. I know she is much happier. She has full rein of the house (which includes the sofa, recliner, beds, etc lol) In November we will have her 2 yrs.

mak73, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Trellum

That sounds great :) So how many dogs you got in total right now? Thanks a lot for taking in dogs that needed a second chance in life, I can do nothing, but admire individuals like you :) Not many people take in strays!

Trellum, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

That's fine. I have not spoken about them in years. It's good to talk about stuff sometimes. I think I felt like I fell asleep on the job, like a doctor who's caught napping and misses something that could save his patient. I often wonder what would have happened had they lived. I am sure at least one was a male.

Mak73, how is that Pit? I've had pits in the past and they were all great.

Winterybella, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Trellum

@Winterybella I have noticed the mortality of dogs of a small breed is even bigger when giving birth, I've no idea why, but that seems to be the case with a lot small breed dogs, specially chihuahbuas. So don't feel bad :) Odds are you'd not have been able to do much for them, odds are they'd not have made it anyway.

Trellum, Aug 8, 2015
  10. Trellum

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I adopted both of my dogs. They actually came from the same shelter a year apart. We got them from a local country shelter. Unfortunately there are a lot of dogs at this shelter and many of them never get adopted. I'm not against buying animals but I personally prefer to adopt.

KimmyMarkks, Jan 3, 2016
    claudine likes this.
  11. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I wish more people were like that KimmyMarkks. So, so many dogs don't have owners. I can't imagine how lonely they must be. If I could, I'd definitely adopt one.

claudine, Jan 10, 2016
  12. Trellum

Djordje87 Active Member

I already discussed something similar here but since d+this is not a discussion I will just explain how did I get my dogs. Joe was a gift to my sister and he is a golden retriever with pedigree and everything. A good dog but a spoiled one.
    The other one, Dolly, I took from the pound or to be precise some organization that dealt with puppies who needed home. So I gave her one. She is a fantastic dog and she would have been even better if I was here all the time to train her and tame her. She's a bit of a wild dog but lovely and caring one as well.

Djordje87, Jan 23, 2016
  13. Trellum

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We never buy dogs. Our fist dog which we named Jedi was given by my husband's sister. Our second dog was Epoy, a pure pekingese given by a colleague. The third is Tisoy, a spitz, which was given by a colleague of my husband. The pug Pipoy was from our car mechanic and the last is Barbie, the pekingese from the vet. The first 2 dogs have died already and so we currently have the remaining 3.

Corzhens, Jan 29, 2016
  14. Trellum

Skyspiritflfl Member

I fell in love with Pepper the first time she came over to me at my son's house after an accident - I was black and blue, and several teeth had been broken due to a fall face front on concrete tiles... When I arrived, she came over and licked my wounds. She was almost one year old at that time - After seeing that son, due to his newborn at the time and work schedule had been keeping her in a huge kennel in the kitchen - I told her I was going to take her home w/me next time I came to visit - which I did - a year and a few months later - she was now two and adorable. Since the family had little time for the young dog, I took her - she was his two dogs dog which they kept, sadly her daddy dog died last year while her momma dog is school quite cool and active - she's been back to visit the family and her momma dog once at this point - and she loves going and coming back home w/me - awesome - She's a cool dog with a great personality and so much love to give myself and my husband it's ridiculous - no more indoor kennels though I do hope to build a dog run out back soon so she can have more outside time - she's a digger and a jumper so a dog run is essential to her outside play - wish me luck - As for now, she's the run of the living room, hall and has recently been coming into the kitchen w/us on a slow basis - I honestly believe she's been afraid of the kitchen in fear of going back into a kennel but she's gaining her confidence and is also one of the smartest dogs either of us have ever seen - Cheers!!!!

Skyspiritflfl, Feb 1, 2016
  15. Trellum

morgoodie Member

I acquired my boston terrier, Batman, from my niece who was moving to a place that did not allow pets. I had been visiting her and I fell in love with him. He has been a mama's boy ever since. My newest addition, a pit bull puppy named Bella, I acquired from a neighbor who was no longer able to take care of her. She had gotten away a couple of times and had come over to us and my kids fell in love with her. She is a sweet and gentle dog. I just need to get her out of the chew everything in sight and peeing in the house phase and she will be perfect. Great stories about how everyone got their dogs.

morgoodie, Feb 28, 2016
Ask a Question