Health or Behavior Problem?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I thought I would post this as maybe someone else has gone through the same with their dog. Misha is a Jack Russell as many of you know. She has some issues. Urinating indoors when excited, afraid, or when she drinks too much water is one of them.

Since the end of November, she has developed a new problem: Peeing on my lap. Not a lot of pee, just a drop or two. It happens once every couple of days, but it happens enough that I have noticed it. Tonight I actually felt her muscles contract before it happened, so it wasn't just wetness on the outside. She has peed on someone's lap before but usually it's when she is very excited they came over or afraid when my brother has stopped by (she is scared of him for some reason).

This new problem started when my Mom had surgery in November. She was on limited activity for 10 days. But, that has been over for about 3 weeks. Though she is still fatigued. (I don't know if Misha can pick up on that.)

I've spoken to the veterinarian. She listed some health issues that could be at play: a UTI, female spayed dog hormone issues, kidney trouble, etc. However, she isn't showing any signs of a health problem. She is eating and drinking normally. Her energy level is fine. She goes to the bathroom normally. There is no pain when I touch her and she isn't showing difficulty when she urinates. She is not losing her bladder at night or during naps (sign of the hormone issue). We had her anal glands checked (she has had ruptures in the past) to make sure it wasn't that. Her glands were fine.

We are giving it until after Christmas unless other symptoms develop. It could be a health issue, but I am leaning towards behavioral since after my Mom's surgery we began pulling out the holiday stuff, got the Christmas tree, and disrupted the house. I am thinking that all this change and excitement is maybe a bit too much for her at once. Also, it seems she only dribbles on me, no one else. I'm the Mom, the boss. I don't know if that has something to do with it. She has only peed once on my Mom and that was weeks ago. My Mom probably has her on her lap more than I do.

I was curious if anyone has ever had the same thing happen with their dog. And, if so, was it due to a medical problem, stress, or what? I'm just trying to get some ideas as to what might be causing it. As I said, she has had smaller urination problems due to stress in the past, so it would not be out of the question. She is only 4 years old, so it's not an age issue.

Thanks for any ideas on this.

Melody, Dec 19, 2013
  2. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like your dogs has a behaviour issue, my schnauzer used to do the same thing, even if she wasn't very excited. Maybe she can sense what's going with your mom, or maybe as you say the christmas tree and decorations disrupted everything. I'd give it some more time, maybe things will go back to normality.

Trellum, Dec 20, 2013
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Trellum, I hope that is what it is. Then, at least when the tree is gone and everything is back to normal, she should revert back to her normal quirky self. She tends to drink water when excited (like when someone comes over or there is something going on in the house). Because of that, I've started regulating her water again. I don't deprive her, but I don't fill her bowl. And, I'll make her wait sometimes before I fill it again. This way I can see if she is just getting too much water.

Melody, Dec 21, 2013
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

It could be a combination of health and behavior issues.
    Our recent dog was afraid to go out of our gate ever since we adopt him. He was just a stray dog before that we decided to own so, that is why he does not want to be outside.

zararina, Dec 24, 2013
  5. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It looks like a behaviour issue to me. Misha has always been very sensitive, hasn't she? I think she knows that your mom wasn't healthy and is still fatigued. This, and Christmas, is all very stressful. If I were you, I'd just pet her more often and try to entertain her. Give her some time.

claudine, Dec 24, 2013
  6. Melody

Trellum Well-Known Member

Good idea!! Have you noticed any changes in the last few days? If you start noticing changes after this move, then there is a huge chance this is a behaviour thing. She's too young to have incontinence. Don't worry, just wait until the things settle down and I'm sure your sweet girl will go back to her former self :)

Trellum, Dec 24, 2013
Ask a Question