Have You Ever Had To Give Your Dog Away?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

When I was very young, like around 5, my family adopted a small white puppy from some guy that was giving them away at a local flea market. We had him for less than two years, but as he got bigger, he was also becoming very aggressive. I think my parents were worried about him attacking me too, which he did a few times (bites, scratches).

We had some kids in the neighborhood who would sometimes harass the dog whenever he was outside, throwing crab apples at him and stuff. This probably contributed to his behavior. But whenever he was in the house he would tear up furniture and knock stuff over a lot, and scratch everyone.

We're like the last people to ever give an animal away, usually its the other way around and we're taking in animals. But eventually, one of my dad's coworkers who had several acres of fenced in land, offered to adopt him. It seemed like a better fit, so he could run around freely, and let out some aggression. We ended up giving him away, but the owner kept in touch with us over the years, we even went to visit him from time to time. And he let us know when he passed too.

OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012
  2. OhioTom76

claudine Well-Known Member

I've never gave my dog away and I can't imagine doing so, but I'm afraid that sometimes there isn't any other solution - like in your case. My mother was in a similar situation. She bought this dog - he was already an adult then - he was a champion, a beautiful Cocker Spaniel, but he was mentally ill. The previous owner 'forgot' to mention it. The dog attacked people without any reason and it was becoming dangerous. My mother was afraid of staying in a room with him, so she just had to give him away.

claudine, Sep 18, 2012
  3. OhioTom76

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I have never technically given a dog away although I more or less adopted one who was running around my neighborhood only to have to give him back but then got him back later because he was attached to my family. But that's a whole other story all together. Anyway as hard as it may have been for you to give your dog up, just know that you did the right thing for your dog. I have seen situations especially in this economy where people have just abandoned their dogs because they could no longer afford to care for them, but instead of finding them a good home just up and left. My brother acquired a dog because his neighbors upon moving just left the dog behind with no one to care for him. I think this is a worse thing to do to your pet, if you truly love them, they find them a home that you know will be good for them. Your family did this, and no matter how hard it may have been to let this dog go, you loved him enough to let him go be happy.

pafjlh, Sep 18, 2012
  4. OhioTom76

Melody Well-Known Member

No, I have never had to do this. I'm sorry you had to experience. It couldn't have been easy on anyone.

My Lab got aggressive at 6 months. It was a dangerous situation. But, I couldn't give up on her. I'm overly persistent that way, sometimes beyond common sense. If it had been up to others in the family, she would have been gone. But, I kept working with her and eventually (2 years later) she came around and turned into a really nice dog. It wasn't easy, I can tell you! I can see why some people would not be up to the task. I took a lot of bruisings before she finally turned. I'm not sure I could have done it if her dog trainer hadn't been really supportive.

I think it's really nice that the owner kept in touch. I am sure your family didn't make the decision lightly. At least, you got to be involved in the dog's life even if at a distance.

Melody, Sep 21, 2012
  5. OhioTom76

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

As much as I'd hate to part ways with my fuzzies, it sounds as if your parents did the right thing. Certain dogs need a LOT of run around area to play in, and if they don't have that outlet, they tend to chew/shred/wreck/otherwise destroy EVERYTHING within their reach. People assume it's the dog being willfully nasty, but it's down to boredom and having nowhere to expend the energy. Dogs tend to 'mouth' a lot during play, but it can turn into proper biting when it isn't controlled, and the pawing turns into scratching. It's why people need to train before things get out of hand, instead of waiting to train when things are already like that.

It's nice that his new owner kept in touch and let you know how he was doing, at least you know that he got to run about and burn off all that excess excitement. :D

Evilsprinkles, Sep 21, 2012
  6. OhioTom76

tajnz Well-Known Member

Luckily I've never had to give away a dog. However in some circumstances I guess people have to make the hard decision of giving up their dog, for the good of the dog. I do think it's nice that you didn't have to say goodbye for good and still got to keep in touch with your childhood dogs new owner. :)

tajnz, Sep 22, 2012
Ask a Question